GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

GM Silverado: I have an 04 Silverado and the driver side is

Customer Question

I have an 04 Silverado and the driver side is blowing hot and passenger side is super cold! I replaced driver side acuator and it still doesn't work
Category: GM
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 2 years ago.
Hi there, I am cam. Can I ask where the actuator was located that you replaced? Was it above the fuel pedal? If so then I am sorry to say that actuator does not control the drivers side, but the mode. Can you let me know if this was the actuator you replaced or not beg or we go too far?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No it's on the passenger side all the way to the left. Please help me it's so hot in there
On the bottom of the heater case just above the transmission tunnel?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes right by my kick panel by the center condole
Here is the document I made for this actuator. Compare what you changed to that and see. https://www.dropbox.com/s/t5t9c6rrnggdfzy/drivers%20actuator%20replacement.pdf?dl=0
Did you have the actuator plugged in prior to installing it on the heater case? If so, if possible the actuator went out of range before you had it installed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What u mean?
The system uses the stops established by the temperature door. If you were to plug the actuator electrical connector in prior to having it installed on the shaft would send it out of range and can possibly damage its internal components. Try this, remove e HVAC/ecas fuse in the u dear hold fuse block. Wait 2 mins. Then install the fuse and start your truck. See if the actuator moves.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All I did was plug in the new one and it's just hanging to see if it would work. I have to put it back exactly where it was in order for it to work?
Try this quick. If not then take the actuator off and move the door by hand to get it cool for now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What door?
The temperature door that the actuator moves.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where's that at????
The shaft that the actuator you replaced slides over moves the door inside the case. Was there no shaft there?!?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
On the kick panel to the left of driver side?
No. Did you see the document I posted? That has he instructions and exact location of the actuator.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That's the one I replaced!!!!!!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
???????
Ok, sorry. Internet issues. So does that one turn? With the actuator removed, does it allow you to get cold air?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does what turn . U have me so confused?
Ok, the actuator is a motor and gear that turns a shaft. That shaft is turned by the actuator and it moves a door in the heater case to change the way the air flows through, and in this case, through the heater core or through the ac core. Are you saying you had no shaf???
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All I did was undo 3 screws from acuator and unplug it. All I see is a plug down there!!!!!
Ok. That may mean the shaft broke off. Check it again please. If it's missing then we must remove the dash and heater case to replace the mode door. This is starting to make sense for your issue and your confusion.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I already got it fixed found the shaft and turned it and put my new acuator on!
What did you find was wrong then? Did you have the shaft turned too far and it was 180 out?