Chris (aka- Moose), GMC Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

GM 3500 vandura box truck: I have a 1996 gmc 3500 vandura with

I have a 1996 gmc 3500 vandura with a 5.7 tbi and aver time drive in the highway wen it get to 65 mph feel like it's cutting off, even if I accelerate it's steel don't go over 65
Please help
Category: GM
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

I am sorry you have had to wait so long for the first contact. Sometimes this happens when the question you ask is not detailed enough or its just hard to address online. Many have viewed your post, but have decided to pass.

I will do my best to help you. I have access to many repair sites, so at the least I can provide something to address at least part of your concern if it is not something I can address from memory and experience.

I mainly work in the last half of the day 2pm-midnight cst. , so that is when I do all of my responding.

Once you get an answer, you will be prompted to rate me. You are rating my help, not the website, or answer. If you feel the need to rate negative, please save the rating so I can try again or find someone whom may be able to help better.

Thanks for using our site, we will do all we can to earn your business, again sorry we did not get to you sooner.

X Do you still need help?

X Is there any more information you can add?

X At minimum what do you need to know if I can not address all of your concern?

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi ,Chris. The symtoms my truck has are exactly like a big rig which is set up from govener to don't go faster then 65m/hour. The only deference is that sometimes it goes over 65m/hour. So , the problem is when I drive in the highway and reach 65m/hour it goes limp. When is under 65mph you can press the acceleration and it goes again to 65mph,but not over 65mph. Every time you try to go over 65 mph , it went limp .If you need more info. please let me know or call me at(NNN) NNN-NNNN

I believe in your case the computer has a faulty ROM board and it has moved the speed limiter down to far to 65mph. You should be able to monitor this with a diagnostic tool to verify this prior to replacement.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

In your opinion , should I replace the computer or should I try to fix it?

If I get a new computer I should re-program it?

Thank you very much,Mike

You will not be able to fix the computer, and it should be tested prior to replacing and programmed after installed.

Chris (aka- Moose), GMC Technician
Experience: 16 years of experience