Ron Z.
Ron Z., - GMC Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & GM Diagnostics/Repair
18617752

front left wheel noise like snow tires?

front left wheel noise like snow tires?
Hello! Welcome to the site! Thanks for coming! I'm Ron Z. I'm here to provide as much info and insight as I can, to best answer your question.

Would you say the noise is directly related to speed? Changes pitch/frequency with speed? Does it tend to ease up when turning left?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As speed increases noise gets louder, like I said its like driving with snow tires on a dry road.

OK. From what you are describing here, it sounds like you have a worn Wheel Bearing on the left side. These are actually well-known and common fail items on these vehicles due to their design. On these vehicles, the Wheel Bearing is built into and part of the front Wheel Hub Assembly. If you raise the wheel off the ground and spin it by hand, you should be able to hear a slight "hum" or "grind" just behind the wheel. I think replacing the Hub Assembly is going to solve the problem.
graphic

If you have no further questions at this time, Please remember to RATE YOUR Q&A EXPERIENCE TODAY! Your input is very important to us! Please make sure to leave a RATING! Thank-You!

If you need more help, please use the "Reply" tab to continue our conversation - I'm always happy to answer follow-up questions!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Are wheel bearings covered under waranty, or just like tire wear after 80,000 miles its on the consummer?

Well... to be honest, warranties would be an issue I'd let my Service Writer deal with. The Techs really don't care who's paying for it! LOL! BUT! If I'm not mistaken, I do believe this is considered a wear-and-tear fail item, and depending on what "type" of warranty you have, it may not be covered. It's a shame too, because these are VERY common fail items. God only knows how many GM wheel hubs I've replaced over the years! I'd certainly suggest inquiring about it, but don't be surprised if they say no. Sorry!