Randy
Randy, GMC Technician
Experience:  25 Years experience
62741268

GM SONOMA: I have a 1999 GMC Sonoma 4.3 engine. I was going

Customer Question

I have a 1999 GMC Sonoma 4.3 engine. I was going 50 mph and it just cut off. I replaced fuel pump and filter, pulled plug wire off and I am getting fire. Motor turns but won't fire. What do I do next ? Thanks! Billy
Category: GM
Expert:  replied 1 year ago.

Randy : Hi, My name isXXXXX will assist you with your Sonoma.
Randy : I am sorry to hear this happened,
Randy : Have you tried a different ignition key?
Randy : Do you hear the fuel pump buzz for about two seconds when you first turn on the the key to start?
Customer: I do hear the fuel pump buzz. I just tried my wife's key and it cranked right up !!!!! That is AMAZING. WHY IS THIS ??
Randy : It has anti theft and it will shut down if it loses communication with the key.
Randy : The key is bad.
Customer: THANK YOU AND MAY GOD BLESS YOU !!! YOU ARE A SMART MAN !!
Randy : Your welcome!God bless you and your family. Please remember to leave a Positive RatingIf you need more assistance, I will be glad to help just let me know.Thank you very much!
Randy : Sorry for the typo, forgot the period.
Randy : Please remember to leave a Positive RatingIf you need more assistance, I will be glad to help just let me know.Thank you very much!
Randy, GMC Technician
Experience: 25 Years experience
Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My 1999 GMC Sonoma 4.3 engine just all of a sudden cut off with me , no warning at all and no engine light came on. I replaced the fuel pump and filter, distributor cap, rotary button, EGR valve, vacume hose to the ABS, new key. It cranks and only runs 10 seconds and just cuts off. What do I do next ?

Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Have you had the codes checked. There should be a dtc set.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, I didn't think you could check a code without the light coming on ?

Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
The check engine light is usually on and it indicates that a DTC has been set, however in this case it will be good to know that the Check Engine light and the On Board Diagnostics is functioning correctly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do I do that or should I just get a new computer?

Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
You can get a code reader at AutoZone for about $30.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I noticed a coil wire was rubbing against another wire, I moved it and it cranked right up. I drove it up the road and back, what bothers me most is why the light did not come on.

Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Some of the Engine controls are not monitored by the computer on the 99 models, the computer mainly monitors and controls the fuel, air and exhaust.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your time

Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome!