Randy
Randy, GMC Technician
Experience:  25 Years experience
62741268

GM SONOMA: I have a 1999 GMC Sonoma 4.3 engine. I was going

I have a 1999 GMC Sonoma 4.3 engine. I was going 50 mph and it just cut off. I replaced fuel pump and filter, pulled plug wire off and I am getting fire. Motor turns but won't fire. What do I do next ? Thanks! Billy

Randy : Hi, My name isXXXXX will assist you with your Sonoma.
Randy : I am sorry to hear this happened,
Randy : Have you tried a different ignition key?
Randy : Do you hear the fuel pump buzz for about two seconds when you first turn on the the key to start?
Customer: I do hear the fuel pump buzz. I just tried my wife's key and it cranked right up !!!!! That is AMAZING. WHY IS THIS ??
Randy : It has anti theft and it will shut down if it loses communication with the key.
Randy : The key is bad.
Customer: THANK YOU AND MAY GOD BLESS YOU !!! YOU ARE A SMART MAN !!
Randy : Your welcome!God bless you and your family. Please remember to leave a Positive RatingIf you need more assistance, I will be glad to help just let me know.Thank you very much!
Randy : Sorry for the typo, forgot the period.
Randy : Please remember to leave a Positive RatingIf you need more assistance, I will be glad to help just let me know.Thank you very much!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My 1999 GMC Sonoma 4.3 engine just all of a sudden cut off with me , no warning at all and no engine light came on. I replaced the fuel pump and filter, distributor cap, rotary button, EGR valve, vacume hose to the ABS, new key. It cranks and only runs 10 seconds and just cuts off. What do I do next ?

Have you had the codes checked. There should be a dtc set.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, I didn't think you could check a code without the light coming on ?

The check engine light is usually on and it indicates that a DTC has been set, however in this case it will be good to know that the Check Engine light and the On Board Diagnostics is functioning correctly.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How do I do that or should I just get a new computer?

You can get a code reader at AutoZone for about $30.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I noticed a coil wire was rubbing against another wire, I moved it and it cranked right up. I drove it up the road and back, what bothers me most is why the light did not come on.

Some of the Engine controls are not monitored by the computer on the 99 models, the computer mainly monitors and controls the fuel, air and exhaust.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your time

Your welcome!