ASEMaster35yrs
ASEMaster35yrs, GMC Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified since 1972,Master Auto tech,Heavy Truck,4 years GMC Tech
10832065

GM Astro: My question is about routing power steering lines

My question is about routing power steering lines in a custom build.
I am building an Astro van and have redesigned and built the front suspension around a Corvette steering rack. The power steering pump is from an '86 1 ton Chevy truck and the hydroboost unit and fluid reservoir are from a '95 Astro.
I would like to know which ports connect where between the components. I have all of the fittings (16 & 18mm o-ring style) I can probably figure it out but a good diagram or description would give me some piece of mind.
Thanks for your time.
Mark
Category: GM
Expert:  ASEMaster35yrs replied 1 year ago.
Hi, glad to be of help. There are no custom diagrams available connecting hydroboost to a rack & pinion set up but I do have a normal chevy diagram with hydro boost. Will that help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated. I do have one additional question though. The '86 pump I have has two low pressure barb fittings. They are on the back and one is just visible on the right side of the pump in this photo.

I am sure they are the returns from the booster and the assist unit. Does it matter which return is plugged into which inlet?

Thanks for you help. I have this all figured out now.

Mark

ASEMaster35yrs, GMC Technician
Experience: ASE Certified since 1972,Master Auto tech,Heavy Truck,4 years GMC Tech
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will be running a cooler so that is perfect! Thank you for your help!

You're welcome. It is easier to understand with a diagram. The high pressure power steering pump output goes to the high pressure input on the hydroboost. The high pressure output on the hydroboost goes to the high pressure input on the steering box. The low pressure line on the steering box and the third, low pressure line on the hydroboost go to the tee-fitting and the third side from the tee goes into the return line on the power steering pump tank. Don't forget to leave feedback so I can get paid. Simply click on one of the happy faces. Thank you for using just answer.

Thank you for your excellent feedback. Thank you for using just answer.