Pete, GMC Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealership technician and training.
14928985

GM GMC Yukon: Reduced engine power light on 2005 GMC Yukon

Reduced engine power light on 2005 GMC Yukon
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.I may need more info in some cases to help with answering your question.

Has anything been done on the vehicle recently that may have caused this issue?

Have fault codes been checked at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

nothing so far

O.k.,the reduced engine message is to let you know the engine computer has detected a fault in the engine electronics and has put the engine into a fail safe "limp" mode.What needs to be done from here is to have the fault codes checked with a scan tool or code reader that can communicate with the engine computer.Once the codes have been checked then it can be diagnosed as to what component is at fault and then repaired from there.

Most common on these models that can cause this issue is sometimes carbon build up in the throttle body needing cleaned out or the throttle body itself has failed electronically and needs replaced.I have also seen some of the wiring become damaged to the throttle body so the wiring needs checked over where it connects at the throttle body.

A local parts store might read out the fault codes free of charge as I have heard and seen before.

These are the most common causes for this concern here that need checked into to locate the fault.

Let me know if you need anything else,thanks Pete.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The wiring harness was bad, all fixed now. Thanks

Your welcome.