molurch
molurch, GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM, Chevrolet Cert., Heavy Line Mech, Race Shop Owner, Mobile Electronics.
1609972

how do you remove the window crank on a 2000 gmc 3500 savana van

Customer Question

Category: GM
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 2 years ago.

kwiggins29059 :

Hi, I would be more than glad to assist you. On the window crank there is a C- clip on the back that keeps it secured. There is a special took you can purchase for about 8-10.00 or you can use a small screwdriver If you use the tool rotate the crank to where the open end of the c-clip faces the tool.. Heres a picture of the tool and crank

window tool
Full Size Image

kwiggins29059 :

Here a a couple of better pictures of the crank with clip on and what the clip looks like.

crank
Full Size Image

kwiggins29059 :

c clip
Full Size Image

Customer:

Thanks i will give it a try with a screw driver, i am attempting to replace the door handles as the locks feel back inside, I think I will be signing up for the trial so you maybe getting more questions.

kwiggins29059 :

Sounds good, glad I could help you today!

Customer:

The inside doesn't look like that, i see no snap ring, the handle extends back into the cavity look s almost like it's threaded on the handle looks more like top pic than the bottom if that helps at all.

kwiggins29059 :

I can assure you its got a clip, there's a groove cut into the crank for the clip and the crank goes further back on the regulator. I'll try to find you a better picture

Customer:

here is what it looks like

Full Size Image

kwiggins29059 :

jandle
Full Size Image

kwiggins29059 :

just saw your picture

kwiggins29059 :

I looked up replacement handle for your van and none of them show any type of threading inside.

kwiggins29059 :

I'm looking on a gm parts microfiche right now trying to see if it shows anything different

kwiggins29059 :

Found a pic of your axact window crank with the clip in it

kwiggins29059 :

give mejust a minute to upload

kwiggins29059 :

crank
Full Size Image

kwiggins29059 :

thats with the spring released

kwiggins29059 :

when it on it pretty much disappears in the handle

kwiggins29059 :

heres a link to an ebay auction with more pics of the window crank

kwiggins29059 :

Like I said I can assure you the clip is there it is just very hard to see, get too when it is engaged on the crank handle

kwiggins29059 :

The clip tool is really the way to make it a snap to remove

Customer:

i can sort of see something but?????

kwiggins29059 :

Yeah its a real pain to remove without the tool.

Customer:

wha was wrong with the set screw on the inside!

kwiggins29059 :

What set screw are you referring to?

kwiggins29059 :

I will be away from the computer for a while so I will open this up for another expert to assist you.

Expert:  molurch replied 2 years ago.
molurch, GMC Mechanic
Experience: GM, Chevrolet Cert., Heavy Line Mech, Race Shop Owner, Mobile Electronics.