Dave Nova
Dave Nova, GMC Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

2005 Chevy: starter relay,ignition switch module,battery..terminals

2005 Chevy Silverado Ext 5.3 liter.Will not start.Have replaced starter relay,ignition switch module,battery and neutral switch on side of transmission.You can touch terminals on starter and starter will turn over but cannot start with key
Category: GM
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Cam. At anytime during our discussion you need more information or clarification, please reply.

To begin with, does the security light flash?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It blinks one time and goes off
Do you have a remote starter installed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No we do not
When cycling the key to start, does the starter relay click? It is best to have 2 people so you can put your finger on the relay to feel for the click.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes when cycling key the starter relay clicks
Perfect, you just eliminated the hardest part, the relay clicking means all the computer controls of this are fine so now, take the relay out and test the pins for power, the ones that hit either 30 or 87 should have power all the time, do they?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
These are the terminals the relay plugs into under the hood with switch on or off
Yes, the relay plugs into it, and the key off please Craig.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We have 9 volts on the two terminals closest to the engine
Ok, jumping pins 30 to 87, does the starter turn?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I jumped 30 and 87 and starter did turn
OK, what is battery voltage?
It should not be 9 volts at that pin unless the battery is at 9 volts.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The battery checks to be 12vdc
Are you sure then that the starter relay was the one clicking?
Are the pins loose in the fuse block then?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Starter relay is clicking.We have installed a new relay.The terminals seem to be very tight
can you give each pin a slight bend and try it again?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Im sorry it was the ignition relay clicking not the starter relay
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your GMC problem.

New expert here. Try the relay test again in Neutral and see if the relay clicks or the starter engages. Let me know what you find there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
we have tried the test you said no clicking in the relay
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.
Test for power at the CRANK fuse in the underhood fuse panel with the key turned to start. Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't have a fuse listed as a crank fuse
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no power at the crank fuse so does that mean the ignition switch is bad
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.
Double check the 40 amp IGN A fuse in the underhood fuse panel. If this fuse is good and has power then the problem will be in the ignition switch.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you talking about the key part of the ignition or the switch module that has been replaced
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.
The key part is the ignition lock cylinder. It is the electrical portion behind the lock cylinder that will be bad. This is likely what you are calling the switch module. If it has been replaced and the IGN A fuse is good, but no power at the CRANK fuse then there is a break in the wiring. You can test for power on the red wires going into the ignition switch and then test for power on the Yellow wire coming out of the switch with the key in the ON position. If this tests okay then the switch is good and there will be a break in the yellow wire between the switch and the underhood fuse panel.

A common problem I have seen before is rodent eaten wiring under the underhood fuse panel. Remove the diagonal brace at the rear corner of the drivers side fender, then remove entire black plastic cover from around the underhood fuse panel to allow access to the wiring under the panel. Then inspect the wiring for any damage.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have 4 wires going into the module orange i have 12vdc,red i have 12vdc,and two yellow the one beside the red i have 12vdc and the other no voltage
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.
Is this with the key in the Start position?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes it is
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.
Ignition switch connector is shown below. There should only be one Yellow wire. Sounds like you may be checking the wrong wiring.

graphic
Dave Nova, GMC Technician
Experience: ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification