Pete, GMC Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealership technician and training.

my 2006 Hummer h3 wont start and after about 10-15 minutes

my 2006 Hummer h3 won't start and after about 10-15 minutes later it starts, no problem. What is the issue. Thanks, Dan
Category: GM
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.

Pete :

Hi.

Pete :

I just need a little more info to assist better.

Pete :

Is this happening after it has ran a period of time or all the time?

Pete :

Has anything been checked or replaced to try and correct or locate the fault?

Pete :

Let me know so we can continue.

Customer:

It has happened 3 times in the past 7 days since i purchased the vehicle used from a dealership. It happens after the car has been sitting for 1 to 12 hours and after trying to start it...I wait 15 minutes and it starts right up

Pete :

O.k. this may be due to a weak fuel pump as these can be common to cause this type of fault.The pump itself may not be providing enough fuel pressure for a start when the vehicle has sat and cooled as it takes more fuel to start an engine when it is cold or it may have a faulty check valve in the pump itself bleeding off the pressure.

Pete :

Fuel pressure needs tested when this happens to see if it is low,this is done with a pressure test gage,most shops and dealers can test this.

Pete :

Since you recently purchased it I would contact the dealer and let them know of the fault and see if they will help or will cover the charges completey.

Pete :

Most dealers will work with their customers if it was a recent purchase.

Customer:

Would it be a fuel pump problem when while trying to start it, it doesn't even try to start. Like there is absolutely no fuel (no sputtering, no chug, nothing) I have read online that some people think this problem is associated with a Theft System installed on the vehicle. They all describe the exact situation that I have. Nobody really gives a clear solution though

Pete :

If your theft light or security light is on solid or flashing with the key on or after trying to start the engine and releasing the key then it would be a theft concern with a component in the theft system at fault.Most common can be a faulty ignition cylinder.But if there is no theft or security light staying on or flashing then most likely this isnt the fault and it may be the pump.The pump can cause a no start like this and can act up intermittently like this as I have seen before.

Pete, GMC Technician
Experience: 14 years GM dealership technician and training.