Canadafix
Canadafix, GMC Mechanic
Experience:  Canadian class A certified Auto technician
25077074

my truck bogs down when i give it gas and losing power on any

Customer Question

my truck bogs down when i give it gas and losing power on any tipe incline
Category: GM
Expert:  Canadafix replied 2 years ago.

Canadafix :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Canadafix :

My name is Bernie and I will assist you with the bog problem.

Canadafix :

Have you replaced the fuel filter or checked fuel pressure yet?

Canadafix :

Welcome to the chat.

Customer :

Yes I just finished replacing filter

Canadafix :

And have you driven it since you replaced it? Was it plugged?

Customer :

yes but it never changed

Canadafix :

OK. Next is checking the air intake. Make sure the air filter is clean and no obstructions in the piping. I have seen things such as a shop rag blocking airflow.

Customer :

I checked that also and have resently changed air filter

Canadafix :

If that is OK, then the exhaust needs to be checked. A plugged up catalytic converter can restrict exhaust and give you the sysmptoms as your Sonoma has.

Customer :

I thought about that, how do i check exhaust

Customer :

could this problem also cause transmission to start shifting hard

Canadafix :

There are a couple options. The best way is to use a pressure gauge that reads 0 to 10 PSI. Then you need to drill a hole into the exhaust pipe ahead of the catalytic converter you can attach a tube to to attach the gauge.

Canadafix :

Yes, it can cause hard shifting.

Canadafix :

The pressure when checked should not go over 1 and a half PSI when the engine is reved to 3000 RPM

Customer :

what kind of tube

Canadafix :

I use a piece of 3/16" brake tubing.

Canadafix :

You will need to install a self tapping screw to fill the hole after or weld it.

Customer :

can the converter be cleaned out or will i need to replace it

Canadafix :

The tube will need to fit tight into the hole you drill

Canadafix :

The converter would need to be replaced

Canadafix :

An aftermarket parts source would be the least expensive.

Canadafix :

Do you have further questions regarding your Sonoma?

Expert:  Canadafix replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Canadafix replied 2 years ago.
Hello.

If you have further questions, you can reply to me here.

Thank you,
Bernie.