Gary
Gary, GMC Technician
Experience:  15 years gm master tech/15 years ASE master tech

1995 gmc: jimmy with four wheel drive, its a automatic..ltr

Customer Question

i have a 1995 gmc jimmy with four wheel drive, its a automatic. what transmission is it? its got a 4.3 ltr in it. and what other vehicles could i get a tranny from?
Category: GM
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
I have 25 years experience as Transmission Specialist and I will be glad to assist you with this.The 1995 Jimmy has the 4L60E Transmission. GMC JIMMY began using this Transmission in 1993, however I would try and stay as close as possible on the year model(95-97). THIS WILL ALSO HAVE TO BE FROM A 4WHEEL DRIVE MODEL AND THE SAME ENGINE SIZE(4.3).The I.D tag is located on the housing and has the year model listed. The Chevy Blazer 4WD and 4WD Pickup models with 4.3 engine will work.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ive heard that the 95 is a odd ball cause of some electronic thing with the transmission is this true?
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
You can check the electrical connector on the passenger side of the Transmission case if you want to compare and be sure, however those year models should work.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok! so just to make sure before i got buy one can you tell me what is wrong with my jimmy. i bought it not to long ago and its got 160,000 on it and first it wouldnt always go into 4 low or 4 high. i replaced the electronic four wheel drive button and it still did the same.but i was driving it and it like just went in to neutral. i tryed all gears and nothing. i then messed with the four wheel drive button and it would sometimes work to get it to move a little. well i drove it home and let it sit. i know now that if i let it sit while shut off it will drive just fine for bout five minutes and then do all that all over again. i know while in 2 wheel drive it use to shift hard in sertain gears and only some of the time. but i checked the tranny fluid and that is good. what do you think is all wrong with my truck?
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
It sounds like an engagement problem with the Transfer case is the main problem, 160000 miles is a lot and the age also makes a difference. The vehicle is 17 years old with that kind of mileage, you can expect the Transmission failure, however with some test you can probably find the problem and get it going by focusing on the Transfer case and the components that engage the Transfer case.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so you think its the transmission and the transfer case? or what do you mean?
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
You may have some Transmission problems and if you do not right now it probably will not be long. I believe the problem you are describing with not moving is in the Transfer case engagement. You can drop the Transmission pan and check for debris, if there is a lot of wear you will need to repair or replace Transmission.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is there anything cheaper to check that would cause the transfer case to not work?
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
The best way to check it is to raise vehicle to get the wheels off the ground, while some one is inside vehicle get underneath and watch for movement when switch is being moved to different positions, if there is vacuum lines check those and use a volt meter to check for voltage at switch location in cab and at transfer underneath.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
im just as lost as i was before i talked to this guy
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
This was your original question and I answered it and alot more for you. I f you want to diagnose a seperate problem you will have to submit another question. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i would like to talk to another expert plz
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.

I will open the question so another expert can take a look at it, Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
doesnt the transfer case only run the four wheel drive? the front wheels?
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
when this truck acts like its in neatral and will NOT move in any gear including reverse if you shift it into park will the truck NOT roll where its locked in park ?or will the truck roll even when in park ?