Wicked Wrench
Wicked Wrench, ASE/GM Master Certified 25Years
Experience:  GM Master Certified ASE Master Certified 25 Years Dealership Experience
20496363

need to remove the under dash amplifier on a 2007 acadia.

Customer Question

need to remove the under dash amplifier on a 2007 acadia. I have no sound, and after removing the driver side under dash protector, I found a hanging plug connector with five male prongs. Question- how do I get this amp out of the underbellie of the dash? Looks like three speed screws hold it in, but one is all the way on top and you cannot access from below. Do I have to pull the dash ?
Category: GM
Expert:  Wicked Wrench replied 4 years ago.

Here you go! You missed 1 screw!

Radio Speaker Amplifier Replacement (With UQG)
Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=
Click here for detailed picture of above image.

Callout

Component Name

Preliminary Procedure

Remove the left side instrument panel insulator panel. Refer to Instrument Panel Insulator Panel Replacement - Left Side .

1

Radio Speaker Amplifier Screw (Qty: 4)

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice .

Tighten
2.5 N·m (22 lb in)

2

Radio Speaker Amplifier Assembly

Procedure

Disconnect the electrical connector.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I know,,,I already looked at Aldata,,,,,My question is:

How do you access that upper screw ? I've just spend 30 minutes on my back laying inthe floor board area and i can't even touch it let alone get a wrench on it....I don't need the Alldata answer,,,i already have that.

That's not the Alldata answer. It's the GM SI answer, and if I could reach through the screen, I'd get it for you myself! However that can't happen, so you'll have to be resourceful & use a universal swivel adapter 7mm with a long extension to get at that one that's hiding on you. There not easy!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So your saying it's possible to remove this from the underside ? (Have you actually done this before and proven it's physically possible?) Getting the two lower ones with a universal 1/4" drive and 7 MM was tough enough, I can barely get my finger on the upper one. However, if you say this is "possible" then I'll rig some kind of tool up to get at this bolt (but it's never going bacl in again).

That said, here's the 6 Million dollar question, which started all this - when I removed the dash board underside cover a five pin connector was laying there loose - it has "male" pins fairly wide, unlike the computer box. Could this be a power or souce connector for the amp, and somehow it cam off? You can't get at the back of the map where the connectors are at without removing the amp....you'd think they would have flipped it around the other way where the connectors face away from the firewall! Or is this connector used for something else, like testing?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
provided a can answer, which is available via the web. i need a more detailed answer from someone who has actually serviced this particular problem, themselves. I can read the web page answer, it doesn't help me, which is why i offered to pay for advice on this site.
Not sure about that connector. May have a better idea if I saw it. Does the amp have a receptacle for this plug? Want to post a pic of it?

All testing is done through the DLC. So I doubt that connector is for testing. Did you get that AMP out yet?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

LOL,,,,,yes,,finally out, along with a badly torn up right thumb. The top bolt on the amp is just inaccessable, period.

I had to remove the black computer module, and it's bracket, and take a screw driver though the openings of the cast aluminum mounting bracket in order to pry - pop the amp free of the upper most bolt. Nothing broke, but the female mounting clip for the amp bolt, just pulled through the bracket.

As for the freely dangling five pin connector, I still have no clue. It's not part of the amp.

I have a new amp on order, and would be happy to shoot you some digital pictures if it will help, you, or the next guy who needs to deal with this. I now know why the dealer wants $800 to do this work!

I actually had to build a platform outside the drivers side door to allow me to lay flat for a long period of time (used a bunch of bundled boxes laying flat).

When I install the new amp, I will not connect that upper bolt. The other two will hold it just fine.

It's amazing how GMC can put in a 1 - 1/2" (fine thread?) long bolt(s) to hold a light weight plastic bracket, which holds the computer. 1/2" long would have been more than adequate. Same with the amp, which is held with speed screws that are just way too long for what they are needed to do, and take forever to ratchet out.

Nothing appeared wet or bad on the outside of the amp. All the plugs were in tight. I'm 99% sure the Amp is just "blown".

Thanks,

(Edited by Moderator)