Dave Nova
Dave Nova, GMC Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

1995 s10.removed steering intermediate shaft to replace rag

1995 s10.removed steering intermediate shaft to replace rag joint. while reinstalling,the shaft that slides into the intermediate shaft slid into the steering colum about 3" and now it won't come back out.How do I fix this
Category: GM
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your GMC problem.

How much pressure was exerted on the end of the shaft to push it up into the column?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
very little.The orange boot was still in place. I thought the intermediate shaft was sliding on, but the other shaft was what was moving
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
Sorry for the delay. The column is made to collapse in case of an accident. Try inserting a long bolt through the shaft , then use the bolt as a handle to pull the shaft back out. If this does not work, try tapping downward on the bolt with a hammer to bring the shaft back out.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
your idea will not work since there is no hole to put a bolt through. It went in with no effort and now acts like it is caught on something.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
Clamp a vise grip onto the shaft and use the vise grip as a handle or tap on the vise grip with a hammer. There is plastic injected between the inner and outer sections of the shaft, this may cause it to bind when trying to pull it back out.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
not budging
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
If you cannot get it back out then you may need to install another column from a salvage yard. Normally the shaft takes some force to collapse (like in a collision). Once the shaft has collapsed, the column really should be replaced according to GM.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The only time anything resembling force to that shaft was removing the int. shaft from the gearbox(about 1.25 inches)I did have to move the shaft sideways to slide off the int. shaft. Surely that much travel is designed into the system.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
Yes, the amount of movement you placed on the shaft should be acceptable. I do not feel that you put enough force on the shaft to collapse it. Will the intermediate shaft pull out any more or is it at its full travel?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If I put the int. shaft on the gearbox, the other shaft is not even started in the int. shaft. the other shaft needs to come out more so I don't understand your post.Btw, I have a tilt column with airbag, tilt cruise etc. Relacing it is not an option
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
Below is an excerpt from the service manual.

Steering Column Damage
Use care when handling a removed steering column. Such actions as a sharp blow on the end of the steering shaft or shift levers, leaning on the column assembly or dropping of the assembly could loosen or shear the plastic shear joints or rivets used to maintain column rigidity.

Hammering, jolting or bumping the steering shaft and gearshift tube must be avoided during all service operations. If the shear pins are broken, the controlled length of the telescoping design will be altered making these components unfit for further service. When removing the steering wheel, only a steering wheel puller designed for this purpose may be used.

It is important that only the specified screws, bolts and nuts be used during the assembly procedure and tightened to specifications to ensure proper breaking action of the column under impact. Avoid using excessively long bolts or fasteners as they may prevent a portion of the steering column from collapsing. When replacing fasteners, replace with the same part number or equivalent.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I appreciate the excerpt but the column was never subjected to any rough handling and has not been in any collision.Also wouldn't the air bag also have deployed? BTW HOW IS THE AIRBAG DISABLED AND REMOVED.Can you send me an excerpt from the manual on steering column removal and I will accept your answer.What should a column cost and how complete is it? Thanks
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
The air bag does not deploy due to the steering shaft being collapsed. It is normally best to get a complete column from a salvage yard. They typically sell for around $75, but may not come with the airbag. Not legal to sell used airbags, even if they have not been deployed. The column should come with everything else (turn signal switches, ignition switch, etc.)

1. Disable the air bag system by disconnecting the battery and removing air bag fuse.
2. Disconnect Negative battery cable.
3. Turn steering wheel 90 degrees to access rear shroud holes to inflator module.
4. Release each of four ball lock fastener by pushing a ball-point pen or similar device into the end of each fastener through the holes in the steering shroud.
5. Inflator module (tilt rearward from the top to access air bag wiring).