Dave Nova
Dave Nova, GMC Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

2004 Oldsmobile Alero: dash lights..lights work..headlights dont work

Customer Question

2004 Oldsmobile Alero, no dash lights work, windows won't work, headlights don't work, is this the Body Control Module?
Submitted: 4 years ago via GreatAutoHelp.
Category: GM
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your GMC problem.

Will the headlights work if you manually turn them on?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I just tried it, and yes they do work if I manually turn them on. But none of the dash lights come on and the windows don't work and radio doesn't work.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
Yes, then the problem you are experiencing is due to failure of the body control module (BCM). After replacing the BCM, it will need to be programmed by the dealer.

Double check all the fuses before condemning the BCM.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok, 2 more questions please. Radio works when key is in middle position (ACC) and also, I checked most of the fuses. What fuses would you recommend to check? Thanks.

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
The turn on signal for the radio comes from the BCM. If the radio does not work in the ON position, then it is certainly doing so because of a fault in the BCM or a power supply problem to the BCM. The fuses that should be checked are all in the underhood fuse panel, in the dash fuse panel on the end of the drivers side of the dash, also check the panel on the end of the passenger side of the dash. Check wiring connections at both of the dash fuse panels as well. Sometimes these connections will be loose or have corrosion in them, causing similar symptoms. If all checks out okay, go ahead and replace the BCM..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, I have one final question and ill give you a tip for it. If I go to a junk yard and pull the bcm off another car exact same year make and model, do I still have to get it reprogrammed?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
The BCM programming contains the VIN of the vehicle. If you install a used BCM, it will have the incorrect VIN programmed and the security system will disable fuel to the engine. The dealer cannot erase a BCM that has been previously programmed with another VIN. You will have to start with a new BCM and then have it programmed to your car with the proper VIN information.