Dave Nova
Dave Nova, GMC Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

1998 GMC yukon: 000 miles..quits..fuses breakers and fuel pump relay

1998 GMC Yukon 5.7 with 110,000 miles. Vehicle starts/runs for 2 or 3 seconds and quits consistantly. Checked all fuses breakers and fuel pump relay. Replaced all fuel lines, filter and fuel pump. Battery is fine. Fuel prssure check shows 60 lbs with no leak down. No codes in diagnostics check. Does not appear to have an oil pressure/fuel cut-off switch. What the heck am I missing?
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your GMC problem.

Is the security light on or flashing when attempting to start the engine?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

On steady with ignition switch in the on position, flashing while cranking and when engine starts briefly. Thanks, Mike

The security system is cutting fuel to the engine.

Try the relearn procedure listed below. If this does not help then the Passlock security sensor in the steering column is likely bad.

30 Minute Learn Procedure
1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON; the vehicle will not start.
3. Observe the SECURITY telltale; after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes; the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.

Important: The vehicle learns the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

6. Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your great diagnosis. Never had to deal with a malfuntioning security system. Completely overlooked it. Found a bad connector pin in the main colum connector block. Repaired it and the truck started right up! Thanks again for your help!

Mike D.