Dave Nova
Dave Nova, GMC Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

2002 GMC Envoy: remote unlock or lock does not work

2002 GMC Envoy-The remote unlock or lock does not work at all although the car acknowledges the pressing of the buttons with the appropriate honks. When it is cold, <40, I try to unlock the other 3 doors with the door switch, nothing will happen. As soon as I start the car and retry the door switch, the other 3 doors will unlock. Any guidance would be appreciated.Thanks,Scott
Category: GM
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your GMC problem.

When it is warm, do the door locks still not respond to use of the remote keyless entry?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Correct, the locks do not respond to the keyless entry whether it is warm or cold except. Although as I noted, the vehicle responds to pressing the keyless entry by the horn chirps. And the door switch works when it is warm, but not when it is cold (less than 40 F)
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
Does the passenger door lock switch seem to not operate in the cold as well?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have not tried that yet. If the car had a key opening on the passenger I would've tried this many times...since I've been quite forgetful regarding the keyless entry not working and have just gone to the passenger side to load things into the vehicle. only to be rebuffed and had to walk to the drivers side and use my key to unlock. And just to reiterate, the door lock switch works once I have started the vehicle even if it is cold.

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
The door locks are controlled by the body control module (BCM). From the symptoms you are having, sounds like the BCM is failing and not properly activating the door locks. The door lock receiver is getting the signal since the horn is operational with the remote. The BCM takes inputs from the door lock switches and the door lock receiver then activates the door lock actuators in the doors. Replacing the BCM is normally best left to the dealer, as the new BCM has to be programmed after installation and only the dealer can perform the programming.