shawnrbaldwin
shawnrbaldwin, GMC Mechanic
Experience:  Michigan state certified technician with 18 years exp.
11667866

2003 GMC Yukon Denali: drivers side seat..passenger side..indicators

Hi guys. Need a little help with my 2003 GMC Yukon Denali XL, 96,000 miles.

The driver's side seat heater, driver's side seat adjust, and passenger side seat heat are not working. No heat, no LEDs on seat heater indicators, no seat movement on the driver's side. Crazy as it sounds, the passenger side electrical seat adjust works fine. I can't find any binding in the seat tracks.

The problem started about a week ago when I found the driver's seat in the full forward position, yet I didn't put it there. The electrical problem I described above resolved itself after I turned the ignition on/off a few times. Now the problem is back and won't fix itself. Since the problem was intermittent, I'm guessing it's not a bad motor. I suspect perhaps a wiring harness or fuse issue. Any ideas?
Category: GM
Expert:  shawnrbaldwin replied 2 years ago.

shawnrbaldwin :

hello and welcome to J/A my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today, please remember I am not their so be very detailed. how may I help you?

shawnrbaldwin :

first thing I would need to know is do you have two keys? are they numbered 1 and 2? do you change keys? have you

Customer:

Shawn..I have 2 sets of keys and 2 wireless controllers. One is labeled "1", the other is a GMC factory replacement from 3 years ago. No number, but hasn't given me any problems.

Customer:

Shawn...I'm here if you're available

shawnrbaldwin :

okay i am here

Customer:

I'm in the car on a laptop, going through the fuse diagram if you find anything

shawnrbaldwin :

can you try unlocking and locking the doors with one set of keys at a time and see if the seat moves with the remote key fob when unlocked

Customer:

Yup, tried that. The pedals move from fob 1 and fob 2 like you'd expect from our user settings, but no seat movement or motor noise

shawnrbaldwin :

okay unhook the battery both neg and positive sides take and hold the negitive to the positive wires (not the battery) just the wires hold the neg and positive wires together for 3 min then rehook them back to the battery this hard resets the computers and body modules

shawnrbaldwin :

when after the three min and the wires are hooked back up you can try the seats and see where we are

Customer:

Allright. Give me 10 minutes.

shawnrbaldwin :

okay i will be here

Customer:

hooking up battery now

shawnrbaldwin :

okay

Customer:

I'm back

Customer:

No dice, I think.

Customer:

Are we talking a full 3 minutes of continuous contact. I probably let up on the connection a couple of time?

shawnrbaldwin :

as long as it was close to three min of continuous contact

Customer:

I'll try it one more time while you're researching any other ideas. There are 3 sets of fuse panels. Can't find the center instrument panel fuse block, but can check the other 2 if you think you have an idea.

Customer:

No dice on the 3 minute reset. Did find this GM Service Bulletin#03-08-50-003: Seat Heater and/or Memory Power Seat Inoperative (Replace Memory Seat Control Module) - (Jan 21, 2003)

shawnrbaldwin :

i want to eliminate all other posibilites thou. i know about the module but its on the pricey side. trying to give the best possible service at best price outcome

shawnrbaldwin :

do you have a test light? and does the heated seat led light up now?

Customer:

I do have a test light, but the LEDs (both side) and seat adjust (driver side) are still inop.

shawnrbaldwin :

ok can you get the seat control out of the seat?

Customer:

Shawn...sorry to do this but I've hit my limit on time and have some kid issues to deal with. Can we try and knock this out later?

shawnrbaldwin :

yes just send me a message when you get time

Customer:

Shawn...The problem has been resolved. It was a bad connection to the ground under the seat...Thanks for your help...Don

shawnrbaldwin, GMC Mechanic
Experience: Michigan state certified technician with 18 years exp.