John, GMC Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN/40 years experience
6408229

2002 Cadillac Escalade: 5.3L..One of the rear shocks is leaking..ride

I have a 2002 Cadillac Escalade 5.3L (rear wheel drive) with 77K miles. One of the rear shocks is leaking and before I even knew that the ride felt a little bouncy. The factory shocks are Delphi Automotive Systems and the front say T6P on the label and the rear say T7K. The price of the replacement part varies greatly - KYB $59, Monroe $325, and a mechanic tells me his book says $597 for each rear shock, $500+ for each front (not sure what brand). Over the phone the mechanic said he's 80% sure my Escalade has "air suspension control" and that a $59 shock won't work unless we remove the air suspension control altogether. What is the proper replacement part?

Hello & Welcome to JA,

If the $59 shock will mount correctly & has the proper travel it will work . In mounting the shocks the air suspension would be just left disconnected. However you will have a suspension warning light on in the dash cluster. There will be various fault codes set in the BCM.Remove the connector to the air compressor so it so not try to run all the time.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. Will the ride / comfort level be negatively affected by disconnecting the air compression? The Escalade is a big, heavy vehicle, basically a truck, so I'm concerned that switching from air suspension to "regular" will make the ride worse than it currently is (current status is 77K miles / four original shocks, one of which leaks, ride is not horrible but a little bit bouncy / some swaying).
I believe the ride will be better than you have now,you just will not have air suspension control.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay. I think we are almost there. SuncoreIndustries.com describes shocks it sells $659/pair for the rear) as follows: This self leveling air shock automatically adjusts suspension balance and height to keep the vehicle level in all driving conditions. It maintains a constant ride height of the vehicle regardless of the load. The air compressor turns on and makes these adjustments according to the information it receives from the computer. Adjustments of ride height are undetected by passengers because the self-leveling suspension corrects itself while the vehicle is in motion. Electronic self-leveling suspension helps the vehicle in proper steering and braking to create a stable driving platform. IS THIS AUTOMATIC SELF-LEVELING WHAT I WOULD LOSE IF I DISCONNECT THE AIR SUSPENSION CONTROL?

yes