GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Abs pump..module..no brake pedal and cant seem to get brakes to bleed

abs pump motor ran all the time bought a salvaged module changed it out now i have no brake pedal and cant seem to get brakes to bleed

GM Tech (Cam) :

Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Did you change just the black box on top or the whole assembly? If the whole assembly then you need to do an ABS automated bleed with a scan tool to bleed the air out of the system.

Customer:

i had to take the entire unit off truck .then changed the module. put the unit back on and no brakes at all

GM Tech (Cam) :

Ok, so air got in, can you drive it at all, even enough to get to a place where you can do an abs stop to make it cycle the valves? If not then you need the scan tool to do it.

Customer:

what do you mean an abs stop.my abs light is still on is this because of the brakes not being bled or could it be i may have got the wrong module, it was salvaged.

GM Tech (Cam) :

IT does need to be programmed to your vehicle so the stop is not an options.

GM Tech (Cam) :

but if it was not on, then driving and trying to lock them up on a road where it would just skid is what I was talking about

Customer:

i can probably drive it ,but i have no pedal at all.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Ok then do not drive it.

GM Tech (Cam) :

You need a scan tool to do the ABS bleed.

GM Tech (Cam) :

It cycles the valves to release the trapped air.

Customer:

is this scan tool is probably something only a gm mechanic would have ?

GM Tech (Cam) :

No any shop has them.

Customer:

ok i guess i will try to locate a scan tool ,thanks

GM Tech (Cam) :

Please reply back if you need additional help or press ACCEPT If my answer was helpful. You can reopen it at any time by replying to it and I will answer ASAP. PLease keep in mind that as experts on this site, we are only compensated for our time spent helping customers once ACCEPT is selected. Be sure to bookmark this page (CTRL D) to reply with results or ask more if you need. Thanks again for using Just Answer. Cam.

Customer:

is there any thing i should know after i get the tool

GM Tech (Cam) :

Bleed the brakes as best you can before, do the bleed then bleed the brakes again after.

Customer:

thanks