Dave Nova
Dave Nova, GMC Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

1996 gmc yukon: cruise control..the daytime running lamps do not work

Customer Question

my cruise control on my 1996 gmc yukon does not work. Brake lights work. Also, the daytime running lamps do not work. Could it be brake related?
Category: GM
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is David and I will do my best to help you with your GMC problem.

Do lef and right and center brake lights all work?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi David - thanks for taking the time to help with my problem - did you see my reply?

Yes, all the brake lights work fine...

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
Do you have a test light or voltmeter to check the circuits at the cruise module?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I do have a volt meter. I will not be able to get it / see it until tomorrow - but will check the connections after church - however, I am not sure where the cruise module is.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
The cruise control module is located on the drivers side of the firewall. Cable comes from module to throttle on engine. I will send along the wires to check.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Dave for the scematic - it helps...

With the meter - am I checking for voltage, or continuity? And which plugs / wires should I check?

Is the day time running lamps related to this? I think they both quit working about the same time...

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
Turn key On, test for power on the brown wire athte cruise module connector. Then turn the cruise switch on and test for power on the gray wire. Press the resume/accel button and test for power on the gray/black wire. Press the Set button and test for power on the dark blue wire. Let me know what you find after testing all this.

Daytime running light problem is not likely related. Most of the time this is due to failure of the DRL diode under the drivers side of the dash. Disconnect the diode and connect a jumper wire across the connector terminals. If the daytime runniing lights come on, replace the diode.

The diode is bolted to the support bar behind the dash and looks like a small amplifier (finned like a heat sink)

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Dave -

I will test the connectivity tomorrow (dark now, and no garage to work at night). Do I reploy to you like I am now with the results?

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
Yes get back to me with the results. You will have an email with a link directly back to this question no need to start a new question. I will send along a couple of other wires to check as well here shortly then you can let me k ow tomorrow and we will take it from there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Great - thanks Dave...
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
With the key on and the brake pedal up, you should have power on the purple wire. With the brake pedal down, you should have power on the white wire.

Talk to you tomorrow. Have a Blessed day!