MPMoore
MPMoore, GM WORLD CLASS/ASE MASTER W/L1 GMC
Experience:  15 YEARS AS GM TECH, TEAM LEADER/SHOP FOREMAN AT A GMC DEALERSHIP
4232346

2003 GMC Yukon: my Service Brake System light comes..service center

Just picked up my 2003 GMC Yukon from a Chevy dealer. Took it in because my "Service Brake System" light comes on anytime I drive it. First had the brakes checked at another service center about 2 months ago. They replaced brake fluid and checked the brake pads, etc.

The dealer scanned the system...had code C0265 and C0298. They found and tightened loose battery cables on frame rail and cleaned ground. Also cleared codes. They initially said it was either the wiring (inexpensive fix) or the EBSM (expensive fix) so they would do the wiring first and hope that would work. Well, within 2 minutes of driving away the warning came back on. If it is the EBSM, does that need to be fixed immediately or is that just controlling the ABS? Also, some forums indicated it could be the booster vacuum? The dealer didn't mention that.
Category: GM
Expert:  MPMoore replied 2 years ago.

The c0265 is the EBCM concern, this is a common issue on this truck. You can drive it like this but you will not have ABS braking. If you are going to drive it like this, then its best to remove the large ABS fuse in the under hood fuse box. If the module shorts, the ABS motor will stay on all the time and drain the battery.

There is a cheaper fix for this issue, you can remove the module and send it out to have it repaired. The module is held on with 4 torx bit screws and it comes off. Here is a website that can repair the module for you.

WWW.MODULEMASTER.COM

The price for the rebuild is $130, they also have some information on how to remove the module, your is located under the frame just under the drivers seat area.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you know how much it would cost to buy a replace module from this company? Approximate cost is fine.
Expert:  MPMoore replied 2 years ago.
They do not sell them, only rebuild them. You can call them to see if they will send you a rebuilt one and pay a core charge until you return yours to them. I would think the price would be the same but with a $50 core charge which you would get back after returning it to them.
Experience: 15 YEARS AS GM TECH, TEAM LEADER/SHOP FOREMAN AT A GMC DEALERSHIP