JHoop
JHoop, GMC Technician
Experience:  14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner
4700517

How to set distributor in a 1997 gmc sierra 1500 5.7 vortec

Customer Question

how to set distributor in a 1997 gmc sierra 1500 5.7 vortec
Category: GM
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I am Randall. Unsure what step you are at so below are the directions for putting distributor in the engine

Distributor Installation

1. Bring cylinder number one piston to Top Dead Center (TDC) of compression stroke.

1. Install the distributor cap screws.
  2. Install the distributor cap.

1. Install a NEW distributor gasket onto the distributor.

1. Align the indent hole on the driven gear with the paint mark on the distributor housing.
  1. Ensure that the distributor rotor segment points to the cap hold area.

1. Align the slotted tang in the oil pump driveshaft with the distributor driveshaft. Rotate the oil pump driveshaft with a screwdriver if necessary.
  2. Align the flat (1) in the distributor housing toward the front of the engine.
  3. Install the distributor and distributor clamp.

1. Once the distributor is fully seated, align the distributor rotor segment with the number 8 pointer that is cast into the distributor base.
  2. If the distributor rotor segment does not come within a few degrees of the number 8 pointer, the gear mesh between the distributor and camshaft may be off a tooth or more. Repeat the procedure in order to achieve proper alignment.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

1. Install the distributor clamp bolt. Tighten the distributor clamp bolt to 25 Nm (18 ft. lbs.) .

1. Install the distributor cap onto the distributor.
  2. Install the NEW distributor cap screws. Do not overtighten the NEW distributor cap screws. Tighten the distributor cap screws to 2.4 Nm (21 in. lbs.) .

1. Install the ignition coil wire harness.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i have the distributer seated,but i can't rotate the rotor segment to 8

it's locked in at the cup hold

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  JHoop replied 5 years ago.
Hello , my name is XXXXX XXXXX thank you for choosing justanswer.com. Please tell me all of the problem as my answers are based on the information you provide. Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have about the same problem.

New expert here. The distributor will not seat to the intake?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

need to set timing,set engine to tdc set rotor to #8 on housing but timing is out

tried advancing and retarding but stays the same

Expert:  JHoop replied 5 years ago.
You disconnect the timing connector? For setting the timing?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes
Expert:  JHoop replied 5 years ago.
What was the issue? Tell me all you can and the mileage?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i just redid the head gaskets,water pump,radiator,ect. but when i stripped it down i never marked the distributer.i thought it was just a standard proceedure to set, but i've beet told the distributer dosen't get set to the #1 @tdc. i've tried everything ,it will idle @ 700rpm but if i hit the throttle it'll bog or cut off. i've also been told to set tdc @ the timing mark on the block, but it seems to be past the compression point
Expert:  JHoop replied 5 years ago.
OK. Do you have a scanner that can do the crank relearn procedure?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no
Expert:  JHoop replied 5 years ago.
You more than likely have the timing dead center perfect. You need that scanner to set the relearn procedure and you are good to go.

If you have any more questions or need diagrams or service info, please don't hesisitate to ask. If this answer helped you, please click ACCEPT. If you have an unlimited plan you will not be billed again yet I won't get credit unless ACCEPT is pressed.

Your question is always open and you can get back to me at any time by answering any e-mail related to this question or by simply logging on to your JA account and go to your questions. God Bless

Please leave positive feedback. As you can see I have excellent ratings in all my categories. Also remember I am not at the vehicle, Please don't leave a negative report. Thanks again, JHoop
JHoop, GMC Technician
Experience: 14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner