GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

GMC envoy: engin..high pitched whine when I accelerate , any ideas

My GMC Envoy engin is making a high pitched whine when I accelerate , any ideas? Thanks

GM Tech (Cam) :

Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Where do you hear it the most from?

GM Tech (Cam) :

Does turning side to side change it ?

Customer:

The engin makes the most noise when I accellerate from a stopped posititon. It is linda of a high pitched whine and is loader in the front seat than the back Haven't noticed a difference with turning

GM Tech (Cam) :

Does the check engine light come on?

Customer:

No there are no warning lughts on at all had a set on new tires intaller including allignment about a month ago had the oil changed etc at that time

GM Tech (Cam) :

Ok, do you need to be driving to hear the noise or can you simply rev the engine to get the sound?

Customer:

Not sure haven't tried just reving the engine but i can it,s parked about 25 ft away

GM Tech (Cam) :

If you can take a moment that would help.

Customer:

I just checked it and it makes the whining sound when in park and i rev the engine

GM Tech (Cam) :

Ok, its not a whooshing sound is it?

Customer:

Well I am not sure that is the way I would describe it , to my untrained ear its more of high pitch whine more like a suped up remote control plane then a whooshing sound

GM Tech (Cam) :

Ok, that makes me think there is abearing on the belt drive, possibly the AC hub or tensioner.

GM Tech (Cam) :

both are common on these .

Customer:

Big deal to fix?

GM Tech (Cam) :

The idler no, the AC bearing, a little bit.

Customer:

Ok to drive a little before I have it serviced?

GM Tech (Cam) :

I would not wait too long to get it fixed.

GM Tech (Cam) :

the belt could pile up and cause you to loose power steering and possible overheat the engine

Customer:

Ok I will move on it.

Customer:

I am all set thanks

GM Tech (Cam) :

Please reply back if you need additional help or press ACCEPT If my answer was helpful. You can reopen it at any time by replying to it and I will answer ASAP. PLease keep in mind that as experts on this site, we are only compensated for our time spent helping customers once ACCEPT is selected. Thanks again for using Just Answer. Cam.