Pete, GMC Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealership technician and training.
14928985

Service 4wd light on one day off the next on my 2000 jimmy..entail

"service 4wd" light on one day off the next on my 2000 jimmy. what does this "service" entail?
Category: GM
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

This light or message is to let you know a fault has been detected in the 4wd system on this vehicle.

This fault can be anything from a faulty transfer case electric shift motor,front differential motor or sensor,internal control unit failure or other components in the 4wd system or even wiring at fault.

To find out what is at fault here the fault codes need checked in the 4wd computer with a code reader or scan tool,once these have been checked it can then be diagnosed as to what is at fault and then it can be diagnosed as to what needs done to correct the fault.

Most shops and dealers can check the codes and diagnose the fault,a local parts store might be able to check the codes free of charge for you but wont be able to do the diagnosis.

Most common to fail is the electric shift motor on the transfer case but this system, needs the codes checked and tested to be sure.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Pete,

Can you give some idea of the costs involved access the codes and diagnose problem.

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Sure no problem,

Diagnosis usually runs around an hour unless components need tested or taken apart so this can run depending on your location anywhere from $100 to $200.

If it needs the shift motor on the transfer case this can run around $250 to $500 depending on where it is purchased and your location and labor to replace it can run around 1 hour or around $100.

This is if the shift motor is faulty,if it needs anything else then these costs can vary depending on what is needed.

I would say minimum of $100 and max of $2000 depending on the fault needing repaired.

Pete, GMC Technician
Experience: 14 years GM dealership technician and training.