Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

2004 gmc: my cabin air filter..2500 resistor burned out .i

how do i change my cabin air filter in my 2004 gmc 2500 hd .i can see it through the hole were i found my resistor burned out .i,m thinking the filter had something to do with it burning out .i just dont see how to get to it and is it easy to replace by myself?
Category: GM
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks

There is no interchangeable filter, so if there is some type if filter you see it cannot be changed....They stopped the cabin air filters in 03. Let me know if you have any questions at all. Thanks.

IF it continues to blow out resistors then replace blower motor.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

dan it sure looks like one maybe its just made into the hvac housing . could it be cleaned some how and would that filter being dirty cause my resistor to burn out which i found earlier ?cam the other tech online showed me how to get to the resistor now just have to find one .is that a dealer part ? thats how i stumbled across that filter .

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
That wouldnt cause the resistor to burn out...Resistors are common to burn out because the nature of what they do....Reduce voltage which makes them heat up and eventually fail...I've never seen a filter cause a resistor to blow and I dont see how it could...If it was clogged to a point where the blower motor wasnt able to push out air then maybe...But if blower motor is pushing air out ok then the resistor most likely just happened to fail...But like I said, if it keeps failing the the blower motor is failing pulling too many amps causing resistor to overheat and fail quickly. Let me know if you have any questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

thanks dan i'll change the resistor and leave the other alone is that resistor a deal part or can i get it from a autozone or some place like that?

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Ya, autozone will be fine. Let me know if you run into any questions. Thanks again.