Gary, GMC Technician
Experience:  15 years gm master tech/15 years ASE master tech

GMC Envoy: spark plugs..5.3L..the plug wires and they are on so tight

i am trying to change the spark plugs on an 06 GMC Envoy is the 5.3L engine. I am trying to remove the plug wires and they are on so tight that they can't be pulled off. Any advice?
Submitted: 5 years ago via AllDataDIY.
Category: GM
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
they are supposed to be able to twist them so the boot spins than pull them off.but most of the time the old wires from the heat will melt the boots onto the spark plug.when this happens and they will not come off even by twisting you will have to change the wires and to remove the old one just rip them off with big pliers or something suitable to grab twist and pull good.most will rip and break so before you start rippin them off i would get a new set of wires in hand first
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank there any trick to get around the heat shield around the plug itself or should I just twist and pull on the accesible part of the plug wire?
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
some times that shield will pop off with the boot and some times not.just make sure you reinstall the sheilds on the new wires then pop the new wires on