Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, GMC Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.

GMC Yukon XL 1500: The sunroof on my 2001 Yukon XL is stuck

Customer Question

The sunroof on my 2001 Yukon XL is stuck in the open position. When I try to close the sunroof, I hear the motor run but the sunroof doesn't move.

How can I close the sunroof?
Category: GM
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 3 years ago.
It sounds like the cable or motor is stripped, if the motor is running and nothing is happening. What I would try in the short term is to push the close switch, and manually grab the glass and try to pull it closed, and see if the motor picks it up and finishes closing it. This might work, just to keep the rain/raccoons out. But ultimately, you're going to end up needing either a new sunroof motor or possibly a new sunroof track assembly. I really suspect the motor, though, as it has a plastic gear reduction setup in it, and they tend to strip out.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just want to close the sunroof to keep the rain/racoons out. With the Yukon having almost 180,000 on it, I don't plan to pay for an expensive repair.

Again, all I want to do is close it. Can you assist?

Did you try the technique I outlined i.e. pulling the glass closed while operating the switch?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Jerry,

I tried manually pulling the sunroof while cycling the swith and that didn't work. Obviously, something is seriously wrong with the sunroof motor and/or essembly. What I asked for was information on how to close the sunroof. I have no intention to pay over $1000 to repair a sunroof on a vehicle with 180,000 miles.

Can you tell me how to close the sunroof? If so, I'll accept your answer.

I understand what you're saying. I wanted to make sure we tried the easy stuff first.

The only way you're going to be able to manipulate this sunroof into the closed position is to remove the sunroof motor. This requires removal of the headliner, or at least dropping down one side of the headliner, so you can access the motor. A couple of bolts hold the motor in place, if you pull the motor out, you may then be able to manually turn the sprocket on the sunroof to close the roof, or at least you might be able to see what's binding up and make a repair to it of some sort.

Unfortunately, there isn't an easy answer. I'd love to be able to tell you that it's simple to close a broken sunroof. If this were in my shop and I wasn't able to do it by pulling on the glass, the next resort would be dropping the headliner. You may actually find that the motor is what needs to be replaced, since you're going to be there, and that's easily replaced. But pulling the motor out and giving a good visual inspection is the only way to verify what needs replacing.