GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

2006 Envoy xl Denali: rear end..Air Suspension system works on / off

Have 2006 Envoy xl Denali - rear end of vehicle is low. Air Suspension system works on / off. Dealer checked sysyem says no problem. Drives horribly. What can be done? Thanks

GM Tech (Cam) :

Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

GM Tech (Cam) :

When it rides low, does the compressor come on at all?

Customer:

Yes compressor comes on and off while driving. It appears air bladder of system releases when car is parked. inflates somewhat when driving but car seems to be dragging its tail.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Deflating when parked is not abnormal, so my next question is this, how often does it run when driving?

Customer:

Takes awhile to come up while driving. Periodically feels like in is going up and dowm while driving. Takes bumps hard. Feels if it doesn't always level off.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Ok, the compressor may be done. What I would try is take the line off and put compressed air in there and see how long it holds.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Spray the area with soapy water and see if you can find a leak.

Customer:

Sorry been done twice. Car rides much rougher than ever before

GM Tech (Cam) :

Ok was a leak found?

Customer:

No. Dealer maintains nothing is wrong but car rides completely different than the first 4+ years.

GM Tech (Cam) :

They simply don't know then. So if it does not leak and the compressor is working then the level sensor has a dead spot in it and is causing this.

Customer:

so what can be done to address?

GM Tech (Cam) :

If the sensor is bad, replace it.

Customer:

Any idea what something like that costs? and would we just ask the dealer to do this.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Then they are not doing the diagnosis correctly or the tech who is doing it does not know his back side from a hole in the ground.

GM Tech (Cam) :

The sensor , I wil; check now.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Sorry my page scrolled up and I saw the post about the dealer doing this and saying this has been done.

GM Tech (Cam) :

25999461 and 25999462 are the part numbers.

Customer:

Ok, so they did the soap test and this may not have been sufficient to determine that the level sensor is bad? Although they did not identify the problem would you recommend just having the sensor replaced?

GM Tech (Cam) :

They are 100 each

GM Tech (Cam) :

19177907 is the compressor and it is about 600.

GM Tech (Cam) :

I would check the closely and if nothing else, meaning you manually jump the compressor and it pumps up then yes I would say the senosrs are bad.

Customer:

ok, so the proposed fix would be to replace the sensors at about $200 plus labor?

GM Tech (Cam) :

If the other parts check out fully, yes.

Customer:

ok, thanks so much