Virtual Wrench (L J)
Virtual Wrench (L J), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic

454 chevy: timing chain..the crank or cam to set at 2 degrees

how do i install adjustable timing chain and sprockets in a 454 chevy, and which way do i move the crank or cam to set at 2 degrees advanced
Category: GM
Expert:  Virtual Wrench (L J) replied 3 years ago.
Hello, sorry for the delay,

Did you install a stock chain and gear set, instead of the adjustable set it had on it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes, i did not realizing it had a adjustable sprocket on the crank. How do I mend this can i advance the crank 4 degrees to get the cam on 2 degrees and then remove the chain and turn the crank back to TDC and reinstall the chain to get the advance?

If you are using a stock cam gear it can only go on one way.

Why do you want to install that crank gear instead of the stock one and take up the advance in the timing with the distributor. Unless it has a real radical cam i don't see the need. Just curious???

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it has a radical cam, but i don't know what it is, the cam was offset from staight up and down and now since i lined the timing marks up on the stock sprockets it pops back

through the cab, the distributor is new and in time with #1

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
also the carb is new plugs and wires rotor distributor cap are also new

Even with performance cam it should still start. I think you may have the dist 180 degrees off. When the marks are lined up like the diagram below, it's actually supposed to have the dist pointing at #6 cylinder , not #1.......that's because the cam turns once to the crank twice so if the cam AND crank gears are in the 12:00 position it would be firing on #1...

Slowly Turn the crank until you feel compression in #1 cylinder with the plug out, then slowly rotate it until the mark on the balancer is at TDC and pull the cap and I'll bet it's pointing at #6.....Pull the dist and rotate it so it points to #1 and fire it up.

If you have further questions feel free to reply. Please remember we use an honor system and you have to click on accept so i receive credit for assisting you. Your question does not close and you can post back right here at anytime for related info for no extra charge.
Virtual Wrench (L J), GMC Mechanic
Experience: 35 years Master Mechanic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

moving the distributor 180 did not help it got worst it would not run at all and shot fire out of carb don't believe this was the problem. changed it back and it runs but when i punch it it still sputters back through the carb, can speed up slowly and it will wind out. can not adjust it out with disributor or carb can not find any vaccum leaks either

Hi sorry for the delay been at a picnic all day (still am) using my cell phone,

It sounds like a flat spot in the accelerator pump. With the engine off, move the throttle slowly and see if it has 2 srtrong streams of gas. Don't throttle it real quick because that doesn't simulate actual driving conditions, just nice smooth throttle like you would give it when it hesitates...and watch that stream closely. It HAS to be steady and strong.

Also you should be setting the timing to around 10 degrees advanced without any vacuum advance connected. (i'm approximating on the setting because i don't know what it's in, gear ratio, etc...)

If you have any further questions just reply and i will get back as soon as i can.

Bye for now...