Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, GMC Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic

Town..with gas and my check engine light came on..speed sensor

I am out of town. I filled up with gas and my check engine light came on. I took it to the dealer and they said it was the input speed sensor/switch and it would cost $1100 to repair because they would have to drop the transmission. They then told me that there was water in the transmisson. I don't understand this, I don't drive off road and it has not rained. They also said that nothing in the car was leaking and it would cost $800.00 more if i wanted them to replace addtional items. This is for a 2007 Hummer H3X.
Category: GM
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 5 years ago.

Something doesn't sound quite right here....

Is the transmission acting up?

Did the light come on before getting gas? Did it come on immediately after getting gas?

Is the vehicle still at the shop? If not is the light still on?

Please answer these questions for me so i can try and sort it out..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The transmission was not acting up before the light came on

No it did not come on before getting gas, but came on immediately after getting gas when i was getting back on the road.

Yes the car is still at the shop. I don't know if the light is still on.

Thank you very much.

I don't really like to call anyone out but the dealer sounds like they may be trying to pull a fast one on you. In about 99% of the time the light comes on is for emission related areas...and if it were a transmission fault, it surely would have shown some symptoms.

The first thing that comes to mind is the gas cap possibly being the fault because it has a very big part in containing fuel vapors for the emissions system and usually just replacing it takes care of it.

If i were you i would pick the vehicle up and take it to a parts store like autozone and they will connect a diagnostic code reader for free and tell you the trouble code number and a description of the system that reported it to the computer and made the light come on. My guess is that it will be a code for the EVAP system, which is the emissions system and most likely the gas can also post the code number(s) here and we can look them up.

I really wouldn't feel comfortable letting them do anything to your vehicle other than what they have done already, which doesn't sound like much at all....

If you have further questions feel free to reply. Please remember we use an honor system and you have to click on accept so i receive credit for assisting you. Your question does not close and you can post back right here at anytime for related info for no extra charge.