Gary
Gary, GMC Technician
Experience:  15 years gm master tech/15 years ASE master tech

1996 350 vortec 5.7L K1500 rebuilt engine..timing..what guages

Customer Question

1996 350 vortec 5.7L K1500 rebuilt engine- can timing be set, what guages are needed for remainder of checks, what checks are done and how? Has been battery free andf service manuals conflict as well as on line info!
Category: GM
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
does the engine run right now?what other checks besides the timing do you need to know?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have running and need to learn how to set dist. so "crossfire" can't occur, and what computer controls must be manually reset. I have purchased a code reader and diagnostic unit, and have been "told" that if unhook battery, all clears. I need to assure warranty on engine. Thx!
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
do you have any codes in the computer now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm getting a crankshaft position sensor/cam pos sensor correlation check light P1345- I turned the distributer while engine was running, could I have shorted something?

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
ok that code is saying that the distibuter is either not in correctly or the offset is not correct.no you didnt harm anything by turning it.if it is poping more than likey it is in wrong.you need to put it up on TDC THEN the rotor tip should be pointing exacly at the little number 8 under the cap on the lower black outer trim of the base almost where the cap would cover when installed.seen in this picture.then start it up with a scan tool connected and follow thisgraphic
  1. With the ignition OFF, install a scan tool to the DLC.
  2. Start the engine and bring to normal operating temperature.

IMPORTANT: Cam Retard Offset reading will not be accurate below 1000 RPM.

1. Increase engine speed to 1000 RPM.
  2. Monitor the Cam Retard Offset.
  3. If the Cam Retard indicates a value of 0°+/-2°, the distributor is properly adjusted.
  4. If the Cam Retard does not indicate 0°+/-2°, the distributor must be adjusted.

ADJUSTING PROCEDURE

1. With the engine OFF, slightly loosen the distributor hold down bolt.

1. Start the engine and raise engine speed to 1000 RPM.
  2. Using a scan tool monitor Cam Retard Offset.
  3. Rotate the distributor as follows:
4.1. To compensate for a negative reading, rotate the distributor in the counterclockwise direction.
4.2. To compensate for a positive reading, rotate the distributor in the clockwise direction.
  1. Repeat step 4 until 0°+/-2°, is obtained.
  2. Turn the ignition OFF.
  3. Tighten the distributor hold-down bolt to 3 Nm (25 lb. ft.).
  4. Start the engine, raise engine speed to 1000 RPM and recheck Camshaft Retard Offset.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have a CAN OBDII code reader/EOBD scanner-==== cen-tech model 98614, and need to know what scanner will give me a camshaft retard offset reading- I don't have this on mine. Please give me a make and/or type reader and then I'll quit bothering you! Thanks! Also I can clear code and remains off until restart when it again "check engine" comes back on. Also says fuel volume control circuit open- what is this and what do I look for?

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
any scan tool that will show the offset in the data list
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I do not see any camshaft data- is there a certain device that desigates this function(ie: has camshaft read capability) so I can determine this before I purchase, or is there a secret designation I'm not aware of in data stream. I do not locate a reading for this data. Thanks!
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
it will be listed as retrard off set
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I guess I don't have a good enough scanner- can you recommend one or does your scanner have any more Product TITLE info than the one I gave you above?
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
those scan tools are very expensive.i would have a local shop plug in and set it for for.you will save alot of money v/s buying a scan tool to perform 1 thing
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If that doesn't do it, what steps next do you recommend?
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
with that code if the timing chain is on correclty and you can NOT adjust the offset to spec then the distibuter is in wrong.re install it like i said in a few posts ago i sent you.once it is in correctly you can set the offset to spec.tighten down the distibuter and its all done
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
New engine and just assured disrtibutor is in correct pos. Initial start-up check engine went off, but dumb me turned to try and time, and set off light. Since then it won't go off. Was hoping I could get it right or find an approach.
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
once offset is set to spec that shop will clear the code and you will be fine
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What questions need I ask shop to properly have this done?
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
ask them if they have a scan tool that will show the engine data list for offset so the offset can be set to spec
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is there a name of an instrument-any?
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
a scantool
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No brand name.......................
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
nope.ANY scan tool that can view a data list will work
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I appreciate your honesty!
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
any time.glad i could help
Gary, GMC Technician
Experience: 15 years gm master tech/15 years ASE master tech
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the information, that got the truck fixed! Happy 4th of July!

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
any time