Danny
Danny, GMC Technician
Experience:  Fleet mech with gmc vehicles as our primary service auto's

GMC ENVOY: SUNROOF STUCK OPEN WILL GO BACK BUT WILL NOT CLOSE TRACK IS

GMC ENVOY HAS THE SUNROOF STUCK OPEN WILL GO BACK BUT WILL NOT CLOSE TRACK IS CLEAR
Category: GM
Expert:  Danny replied 3 years ago.

Danny :

Hello, I am Daniel. I may ask you questions, to better answer you. Please let me know if you have any other questions before you Accept.

Danny :

Is it moving at all?

Customer:

yeah it moves back and also forward but only a little bit

Danny :

ok IC

Danny :

Can you use a volt meter

Customer:

the roof will go all the way back until u hear a horrible noise tell u u went to far back

Customer:

yes i can

Customer:

is there a way to reset a power sunroof?

Danny :

ok the switch is obviously working and the Motor

Danny :

The reset is in the gears. No electrical reset. after the rotation its reset in position. Your motor or th elinkage to motor is what is being affected then.

Customer:

is there anyway to close it manually

Customer:

would having the sunroof go to far on the track causing the horrible noise be the cause of this problem?

Danny :

SUNROOF DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION

POWER SUNROOF SYSTEM COMPONENTS
The power sunroof system consists of the following components:

• Sunroof control module

• Sunroof switch

• Sunroof motor

• Sunroof glass, tilt/slide style, with glass sliding between the headliner and roof

• Sunshade

• Rail and track assembly upon which the sunroof glass rides

• Power supply for the sunroof control module:

• SUNROOF 20 A fuse for motor operation

• Sunroof control module logic circuitry:

• Short wheelbase: RAP supply voltage is supplied and controlled directly from the Body Control Module (BCM) for the Retained Accessory Power (RAP) function.

• Long wheelbase: VENT WDO Relay 20 A fuse supplies the voltage through the RAP relay, that is controlled by the BCM, for the RAP function.

• Ground from G302

POWER SUNROOF OPERATION
The sunroof control module has two power circuits; the Sunroof 20 A fuse and the RAP supply voltage. The Sunroof 20 A fuse is hot at all times suppling battery positive voltage for the operation of the sunroof motor control circuits. The RAP supply voltage is for the sunroof control module logic circuitry and is controlled from, or by the bcm, depending on the wiring configuration. The power sunroof will operate with the ignition switch turned to Accessory or RUN suppling RAP supply voltage. Once the ignition switch is turned to OFF the sunroof will continue to operate until any door is open or when the Retained Accessory Power (RAP) has timed out. For a description and operation of the RAP operation, refer to Retained Accessory Power (RAP) Description and Operation in Accessory Delay Module.

Use the rocker type sunroof switch to command the sunroof to :

• Express Open

• Close

• Vent

Pressing the sunroof switch rearward, the sunroof glass will slide from:

• Vent position to the closed position.

• Closed position to the open position.

Pressing the sunroof switch forward, the sunroof glass will slide from:

• Open position to the closed position.

• Closed position to the vent position.

EXPRESS OPEN
The express open will operate from the closed or partially open position. To express open the power sunroof, turn the ignition to RUN. Press the sunroof switch rearward once. This will apply the sunroof switch low reference to the sunroof switch open signal circuit, 5 volt reference input, pulling it to 0 volts . The 0 volts input to the sunroof control module indicates an express open request. From the closed position, the sunroof control module will control the motor to lower the rear of the sunroof glass slightly and then slide it rearward between the roof and the headliner, along with the sunshade. The wind deflector will raise upward. To stop the sunroof glass in a desired position other than to the express open position, press the sunroof switch, in either direction, to stop the movement.

TO CLOSE
To close the power sunroof, turn the ignition to RUN, and from the:

• Open position - press and hold the sunroof switch forward. This will apply the sunroof switch low reference to the sunroof switch close signal circuit, 5 volt reference input, pulling it to 0 volts . The sunroof close signal input to the sunroof control module needs to have a constant 0 volts applied, switch pressed, to allow the sunroof control module to control the sunroof motor to drive the sunroof glass until it reaches the closed position. The wind deflector will retract prior to the glass reaching the fully closed position. To close the sunshade, this will have to be manually slid closed.

• Vent position - press and hold the sunroof switch rearward. This will apply the sunroof switch low reference to the sunroof switch open signal circuit, 5 volts reference input, pulling it to 0 volts . The sunroof switch open signal input to the sunroof control module needs to have a constant 0 volts applied, switch pressed, to allow the sunroof control module to control the sunroof motor to drive the rear of the sunroof glass down to the fully closed position.

TO VENT OPEN
To open the power sunroof to the vent position from the closed position, turn the ignition to RUN. Press and hold the sunroof switch forward. This will apply the sunroof switch low reference to the sunroof switch close signal circuit, 5 volt reference, pulling it to 0 volts . The sunroof switch close signal input to the sunroof control module needs to have constant 0 volts applied, switch pressed, to allow the sunroof control module to control the sunroof motor to tilt the rear of the glass upward to the full vent position.

SUNROOF MOTOR
The sunroof has a bi-directional motor. When the sunroof motor is not operating both control circuits are grounded. When the sunroof motor drives the sunroof glass in the direction from the vent position to the open position, the following occurs:

• Voltage is supplied to the sunroof motor open control circuit.

• Ground is maintained to the sunroof motor close control circuit.

When the motor drives the sunroof glass in the direction from the open position to the vent position, the following occurs:

• Voltage is supplied to the sunroof motor close control circuit.

• Ground is maintained to the sunroof motor open control circuit.

The sunroof motor understands when it has driven the sunroof glass to the vent, close and full open positions based on the internal limit switches within the sunroof control module. The sunroof control module interprets the limit switch combinations and controls the sunroof motor to soft stop the sunroof glass at the positions. The sunroof control module is equipped with a timer circuit which stops the operation of the sunroof motor after 8 seconds

Danny :

Yes the noise is probably the linkage bound up.

Customer:

how can fix that?

Danny :

Im not sure i have the procedure to show you. let me look. one moment thanks

Customer:

the roof has only gone that far only once could the linkage get bound up that easliy

Danny :
  • Remove the tie strap that retains the white connector to the drive cable tube sunroof motor wiring harness.
  • Danny :

1. Disconnect the sunroof motor/actuator wiring harness electrical connector.

2. Remove the screws (1) which retain the sunroof motor/actuator (2) to the sunroof module assembly.

3. Remove the sunroof motor/actuator (2) from the sunroof module assembly.

Danny :

1. Align the splines on the sunroof motor/actuator shaft with the drive gear on the sunroof module assembly.

2. Install the sunroof motor/actuator (2) to the mounting bracket, ensuring that the sunroof motor/actuator is fully seated.

3. Install the screws (1) that retain the sunroof motor/actuator (2) to the mounting bracket.

NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

Tighten
    Tighten the sunroof motor/actuator screws to 3 N.m (27 lb in) .

1. Connect the sunroof motor/actuator wiring harness electrical connector.

2. Install the tie strap retaining the sunroof motor/actuator wiring harness.

3. Install the headliner

Danny :

align the splines starts the install procedures.

Danny :

Nothing with diagrams though. sorry. I am hoping the best case senerio for you. It will be hard to find an assembly for just the linkage. and replaceing it whole would be about the smae cost.

Customer:

how much would it cost to fix roughly?

Danny :

well you have two directions you can go, after market and it would be cheaper around 600. Dealer twice that much. Those are ruff guestiments though.

Customer:

ok thanks i appreciate the advice and directions

Danny :

Before you do anything take it to the local window tenting shop. see if one of those guy's can work the linkage out for you. the dealer wouldnt mess with it but they would. and are alot cheaper.

Danny :

Your very welcome.

Customer:

one more thing how do i work out the linkage

Danny :

you would have to remove trim and get to it. and it would be a matter of using your skills and long screw drivers and needle nose pliers to get it back on track

Customer:

ok thanks again

Danny, GMC Technician
    Experience: Fleet mech with gmc vehicles as our primary service auto's