GMC Tech
GMC Tech, GMC Technician
Experience:  Pa state emissions cert. GM training in all areas. 5 years as a technician top of graduating class.

2006 envoy denali: rate of 1 quart every 1500 miles..start until

Customer Question

I own 2006 envoy denali with 72,000 miles. It is using oil at the rate of 1 quart every 1500 miles. The problem did not start until around 65,000 miles. I have changed the oil every 3000 miles since it was new. any idea whats going on with the car?

steve Tatman

Springfield, IL.
Category: GM
Expert:  GMC Tech replied 3 years ago.

Hello, there is a service bulletin/PI for oil consumption that came out on May 25, 2011. I recently just replaced the lifters for being over-aggressive,in a 5.3L V8 what happens is the lifters pump to much oil up through the push rod. One visual inspection that can be done is to look through the throttle body to inspect for oil laying in the upper intake. What happens is the pvc hose and the valve covers become plugged time. I'll post the bulletin in the next posting.

Expert:  GMC Tech replied 3 years ago.

It really sounds like is possibly going to lead to the lifters in the engine being replaced. The vehicle has about the correct mileage for the concern. To detect the oil consumption usage is pretty hard to find and i would seriously take a look at this over active lifter concern.

#PIP4492X: Oil Consumption And/Or Exhaust Smoke Due To Oil In The PCV System - (May 25, 2011)

Subject:Oil Consumption and/or Exhaust Smoke due to Oil in the PCV System
Models:2009 Buick Lacrosse Super, Allure Super (Canada Only)
2004-2007 Buick Rainier
2004-2008 Cadillac CTS-V
2003-2011 Cadillac Escalade
2010-2011 Chevrolet Camaro
2003-2007 Chevrolet Corvette
2009-2011 Chevrolet Colorado
2003-2011 Chevrolet Avalanche, Express, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2006-2009 Chevrolet Impala
2006-2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2003-2006 Chevrolet SSR
2003-2009 Chevrolet Trailblazer
2009-2011 GMC Canyon
2003-2009 GMC Envoy
2003-2011 GMC Savana, Sierra, Yukon
2003-2010 Hummer H2
2008-2010 Hummer H3
2005-2008 Pontiac Grand Prix
2008-2010 Pontiac G8
2005-2009 Saab 97x
With any of the following V8 Engine RPO Codes:
4.8L - L20, LR4, LY2
5.3L - L33, L59, LC9*, LH6*, LH8, LH9, LM7, LMF, LMG, LS4**, LY5
6.0L - L76*, L77, L96, LFA*, LQ4, LQ9, LS2, LY6, LZ1
6.2L - L92*, L94, L99, L9H

This PI was superseded to update Recommendation field. Please discard PIP4492W.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

On rare occasions, some customers may complain of excessive oil consumption and/or blue exhaust smoke.

Upon inspection, obvious oil will be found in the intake manifold and/or PCV vacuum tube if this PI applies.

This may be the result of:

A PCV fresh air hose that is pinched or restricted by plastic casting flash (this would normally be a concern since new, or shortly after engine repairs).

Plugged PCV baffle drain holes in the valve cover that has the PCV vacuum pipe attached to it (this would normally be a concern at high mileage).

An improperly sealed PCV valve cover baffle (this would normally be a concern since new, or shortly after valve cover replacement).

Over-aggressive valve lifters (can occur intermittently and generally starts to occur at low mileage - less than 10,000 miles or so).

If the latest version of bulletin 01-06-01-011 identifies excessive oil consumption but SI diagnosis does not isolate the cause of it, inspect the PCV vacuum pipe to see if obvious oil drips out of it and/or look through the throttle body opening to see if there is obvious standing oil in the bottom of the intake manifold (as much as a ¼ quart in many cases -a teaspoon or two is typically just normal oil residue). If there is obvious oil in the PCV vacuum pipe and/or in the bottom of the intake, perform the steps below as necessary and re-evaluate the oil consumption concern:

Step 1. Inspect the fresh air hose/pipe and all related connections to make sure that no restrictions exist (plastic casting flash, pinched hose, etc.), which may cause excessive crankcase vacuum. Repair the restriction as necessary. Generally, the oil consumption would have been a concern since new, or shortly after engine repairs, if this is the root cause.

Step 2. On 2009-2011 vehicles built before January 2011, replace the valve cover that has the PCV vacuum pipe/hose attached to it using part number 12642655 and re-evaluate the concern. This valve cover contains an updated baffle to prevent oil ingestion through the PCV system that can occur if there is an over-aggressive lifter(s) that pumps too much oil through the push rod. Vehicles that have this valve cover installed should not experience oil consumption even if there is an over-aggressive lifter(s). As a result, the following steps 3-5 do not apply to 2009-2011 vehicles that have had this updated valve cover installed during service or production.

If excessive exhaust smoke is also noted, also drain/clean the oil out of the intake manifold and install the intake with new intake gaskets before releasing the vehicle to the customer. If this is not performed, the customer may return with an exhaust smoke complaint due to the residual oil in the intake manifold even though their oil consumption complaint has been repaired.

IF I HAVE HELPED YOU OUT PLEASE HIT THE ACCEPT BUTTON SO I RECEIVE CREDIT FOR HELP GIVEN. THANK YOU! ALL INFORMATION IS FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY.