kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

PLEASE ID THIS ENGINE...BLOCK CASTING ...5.

PLEASE ID THIS ENGINE...BLOCK CASTING ...5.0 LG....14093627.........STAMPING #V0316TBA.......HEADS are 14102187

kalamykid :

the block is a 88-94 305 and the heads are 87-91 305ho heads.

Customer:

So what is the approximate factory rating on this engine, and can I improve on the factory build for mileage and performance ? The bores look good and should clean up with a hone easily. Not wanting to spend more than $800.oo on the build . Doing all work myself.

kalamykid :

As for rebuiling it to get 250 hp out of it, No problem. As for rebulding it, the engine kit, and all the proper machine work will cost you less then 800. A master rebuild kit willcost you less then $300.00 and all the machine shop work should be less then $500.00

kalamykid :

Here is a phone number to call for a great price on an engine kit that will come with every thing you need to rebuild this engine. -800-831-1884

kalamykid :

You will need to send the block and heads to the machine shop before you order your kit so you know for sure what size pistons, rings, and bearings you will need to put the engine back together.

Customer:

What aftermarket parts do you suggest ? Flat top pistons ? Different cam ? Are the heads sufficient ?

kalamykid :

If you build this engine back stock you shoul dbe able to get around 280 hp out of it.

kalamykid :

With the heads you have you should have no trouble achiving the 280 hp

Customer:

WOW , Are you saying with keeping the stock bore and dished pistons as well ?

kalamykid :

The heads are a 53 cc head, and i am running 67 cc heads on my 350 and get over 300 hp out of it. So the heads are realy good

kalamykid :

yes

kalamykid :

The 305 ho from the factory was rated at 280

Customer:

That is real impressive performance for a 305 .

kalamykid :

The standard 305 is rated at around 190-230 depending on the year and heads.

Customer:

So this looks like I got a pretty good deal. I am surprised that there was a HO engine in a service body truck.

kalamykid :

They had to make up for the smaller cylinders some how to get a 305 to pull like a 350, so they used the ho heads.

Customer:

Will I be able to print this conversation or not. I really would like to have this info in hand.

kalamykid :

KNow if you want to go a little bi over the 800 mark you can get closer to 340 out of this engine with a cam swap.

kalamykid :

You will have to copy and past this string into your word pad and print it off from there.

Customer:

Would I have to sacrifice fuel mileage though. BTW This engine is intended to replace the worn out stock 1974 350 in my T-bucket hot rod. It only weighs 1800 lbs.

kalamykid :

When you call norther to check on the engine kit, you can ask them about the differant hp pakages they have for this engine. They can set you up with and sell you every thing you need

kalamykid :

The best thing to do woul dbe to get a slightly bigger cam so you do not loose hp, but you shoul dbeable to keep the mpg

kalamykid :

The 305 will not have as much torque as the 350, but you can make it sound and run good. With the ho heads you should not loose much at all over the 350, and may even pick up mpg doing this swap.

Customer:

I have been in contact with an engine shop here in Charleston West Virginia . The guy has been building engines for more than 40 years and offers a great price on engine kits. I really want my power from idle up to 4000 rpm as I will be installing a 700 R4 trans with this engine, and have 3.08 rear gears.

kalamykid :

What carb and distributor are you planing on running?

Customer:

I have Q-jet that I have built and calibrated. It runs sweeet. I have a small cap breakerless dist with remote coil that I bought fromm Skip White Performance.

Customer:

BTW. The plugs run white, so I have it calibrated lean already.

kalamykid :

White plugs are not good. When you run an engine to lean you creat to much heat in the heads and cylinders.

kalamykid :

This will rob you of hp and mpg.

kalamykid :

Leaner is not always better.

kalamykid :

The plugs should be a light brown color when you pull them out.

Customer:

So you look more for gray ? The plugs that I pulled out of the 305 were also white. I thought maybe they were just changed before the guy put the truck into a tree, but there is no way to ever know. I got it from a diffferent guy than the owner of the truck.

kalamykid :

Aproperly fuled engine will have yellow or brown plugs when you pull them out.

kalamykid :

if the plugs have a gry color to them usualy this indicates coolant in the chambers

Customer:

You have been a wealth of information and I really do appreciate it. The wife just headed to bed so I need to shower and join her. It is 10:50 P.M. here.

Customer:

Thanks. And now just to copy, paste and print this..........Allan

kalamykid :

Call northern and see what kind of price they have on there kits, and what hp pakages they have for you. i thiank you will be surprized at what you can do with this engine.