GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

very intermittantly, my truck will die while driving down the road.

Very intermittantly, my truck will die while driving down the road. Very Scary!!
Category: GM
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.
Do you still have the gray cover on the engine?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There was no cover on the engine when I bought it. I took it to have the oil changed and new fuel filter. The dealer asked why there was no cover and said they had one they did not need and would put it on for free. So they did.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Something I forgot to mention. When I first bought it, I took it in to have the oil changed and new fuel filter. They told me if I was going to be hauling the fifth wheel camper I should have the rear differential replaced because it was leaking.

I replaced the rear differential and they put the cover on the engine.

Ok, that cover holds too much heat and that causes the fuel solenoid driver to fail due to heat. To fix this you need the new driver, also called a PMD driver and a remote mount kit. Search eBay, they are cheap, and get rid of the cover.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am just getting my truck back from a diesel mech who agreed to drive it for a while to see if he could locate the problem. uggggg.

Can you tell me what the cover looks like? I intend to take the truck to a GMC dealer, but would like to take the cover off in the mean time.
That cover if there is a large gray cover that says TURBO in red. IF it is gone then that is good.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there a chance that all that is needed is to remove the cover? Or is it that once it has cut off while driving it will definitely need the new driver?
removing the cover only prevents the new part from failing