Gary
Gary, GMC Technician
Experience:  15 years gm master tech/15 years ASE master tech
19513769

96 Chevy s10: pickup..already replaced..the fuel pump relay bus/fuse

Customer Question

I have no fuel leaving my fuel pump. It's a 96 Chevy s10 pickup. i already replaced the fuel pump, one of the pigtails(due to manufacturing upgrades), and the fuel pump relay bus/fuse. The battery still has 10+ volts to it, and I'm running out of ideas. The power sending relay was testing at 8 volts of power before I changed the fuel pump, but I can't figure out the lack of power.
Category: GM
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
you have a multi meter?and at the fuel pump when cranking you have 8 volts at the gray wire?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I believe the power was purple, but I would get a steady 8 volt reading. I believe at an idle. I did most of the testing alone. Then an older Gent came by and pushed his pin testkit through the wire while it was connected. all of my testing I could either turn the ign, or probe connectors. Is that understandable?
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
while cranking the engine over check what you have for volta at the GRAY wire at the fuel pump connector
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can't. The vehicle is not here. I live at a different location than where the vehicle is.
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
ok you need to check for 12 volts when cranking at the GRAY wire at the fuel pump connector
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
if I still have only 8 when cranking, what does that mean? what other pieces should I be looking at for problems? O2 sensor? what else, besides the oil, could trip a fuse shutting off power to the fuel? Regulator? should I be looking for that and testing it somehow? Or doesn't that have anything to do with the pump, just the fuel once it gets there? I just don't know how that works.
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
if you only have 8 volts at the GRAY wire then remove the fuel pump relay and see if you have 12 volts at the orange wire going into the back of the relay.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. I am clear on your directions so far. If I have12? I already changed the relay fuse for the fuel pump in the glove box. It's in a bank of 3 fuses. I was told it was the middle fuse. is that correct?
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
first check for those voltages i asked.then we will go from there
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay. Thank you for your help and direction so far. I had been frustrated with this site, And had the computer with the truck for testing for over 6 hours with no reply. I apologize that I'm not with the truck now. I wasn't expecting to do this now. Can I get back to you? Or does that have to be a separate question?
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
no you can raply right back threw this post
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much. I am off to work right now, but life without the vehicle is difficult. I will be back at it asap!
Thanks again.
Jim
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok. I'm back at it. I'm waiting for someone so I can test the voltage at the pump, but for now, I would like to know which wires to check behind the relay fuse.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do I need to tap into the wire behind the fuel pump relay to test it? Or do I pull the relay and test frt the socket?
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
test back of the wires behind the relaygraphic