Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified with 25+ years experience.
20625509

fuel pressure regulator go bad

Customer Question

can a fuel pressure regulator go bad and if it is bad will it sometimes make the truck not start
Category: GM
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 years ago.

Yes. I see you are having problems getting and keeping the engine running. Try to see if it starts with starting fluid first. If it does and will not start on it's own then it must be a fuel problem and like the other experts said check the fuel pressure. Another thing since you have had so much cranking without starting, I would take out all the spark plugs and clean them up and put them back in.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how do i check the fuel pressure? is there a gauge i need to buy?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 years ago.
Yes, a fuel pressure testing kit. Most everyone sells them, sears, harbor freight, autozone, etc. I have a 1990 C2500 and I install the t-fitting from the kit just before my fuel filter along the frame rail.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 years ago.
I believe that engine's fuel system is a SFI, so make sure you get a fuel pressure test kit for a SFI (sequential fuel injection) system, although I think you can still hook the gauge up just before the fuel filter. The fuel pressure should be 60-66 PSI with keyon, engine off and ac off.