GMC Tech
GMC Tech, GMC Technician
Experience:  Pa state emissions cert. GM training in all areas. 5 years as a technician top of graduating class.
14353791

I have my vin number can you tell me if my Denali is awd?

i have my vin number can you tell me if my Denali is awd?
Category: GM
Expert:  GMC Tech replied 5 years ago.
If you can give me the last eight of the VIN# XXXXX will do some checking?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
8J167443
Expert:  GMC Tech replied 5 years ago.

According to the information i looked up your transfer case is a NR3 1-speed full time AWD. I'll give you the description and operation below for you.

Transfer Case Description and Operation

The Borg Warner (BW) model 4485, RPO NR3 transfer case is a 1-speed, full time, all wheel drive (AWD), transfer case. The transfer case provides power to both axles, through an external planetary type differential, which has 2 different sets of pinion gears. The planetary differential provides a 40/60 torque split, front/rear, full time. This means both axles are constantly being driven for maximum traction in all conditions.

The transfer case external type planetary differential functions the same as a typical rear axle differential. The transfer case differential pinion gears function as the spider gears, and the sun gears function as the side gears.

The following actions occur because of the planetary differential:

If the vehicle is on a hoist, the front propeller shaft can be rotated by hand.
The vehicle cannot be driven if 1 propeller shaft is removed.
Operating the vehicle on the hoist can damage the differential pinion gears, by over-spinning.
Operating the vehicle with 1 propeller shaft removed causes over-spinning of the differential pinion gears.

The BW 4485 design of the planetary differential allows the use with the Vehicle Stability Enhancement System (VSES) vehicles. The VSES takes use of the planetary differential, by applying braking to a tire that has less traction and dividing the engine torque to the other axle.

IF THIS HAS HELPED YOU OUT PLEASE HIT THE ACCEPT BUTTON OTHERWISE I DO NOT RECEIVE CREDIT. THANK YOU! ALL INFORMATION IS FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have the full vin number and I was looking on internet and i saw someone post that certain letters mean you have a 2wd or AWD is that true and what I am I looking for?
Expert:  GMC Tech replied 5 years ago.

They must have meant the RPO code for the vehicle which is NR3. If you look at the vin number the fifth number is XXXXX a C or a K. The letter C means that it's a 2wd and a K means it's a 4wd or a awd in your case.

IF THIS HAS HELPED YOU OUT PLEASE HIT THE ACCEPT BUTTON OTHERWISE I DO NOT RECEIVE CREDIT. THANK YOU.