MPMoore
MPMoore, GM WORLD CLASS/ASE MASTER W/L1 GMC
Experience:  15 YEARS AS GM TECH, TEAM LEADER/SHOP FOREMAN AT A GMC DEALERSHIP
4232346

GMC Yukon Denali I just bought 2007 Yukon Denali and the oil

I just bought 2007 Yukon Denali and the oil pressure according to gauge drops often. Sometimes it saids "Oil pressure low stop engine. Other times it just drops. Car has 91000 miles with the 6.2 engine
Category: GM
Expert:  MPMoore replied 3 years ago.

This could be a bad sensor or you may have lost actual oil pressure in the engine.

How often does this happen?

Does the oil pressure stay low or does it come back to normal wile driving?

Does the engine make any abnormal noise when this happens?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm hoping for a bad sensor. It happens as I drive and then returns to normal pressure. There is no unusual noises and the temp remains the same. The oil is good since I just took it to GM today and had it changed.

It do not always say stop engine oil pressure is low but every now and then it does.

it happens evry so often driving about thirty minutes to work maybe three times at the most. Drops to 0 and slowly climbs back up to 80. rarely stay on 40 or anything else.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Was told to take in and have gage and sensor maually checked.
Expert:  MPMoore replied 3 years ago.
You can try and replace the sensor to see if that works. The sensor is located on the back of the engine on the top. It does take a special socket to replace the sensor, any auto parts store will have the socket for around $10. The sensor cost around $40 to $80 depending on where you buy it. It will cost around $100 of labor (plus the cost of the part) to replace it at the dealership. If this does not fix the problem, then you may have a bad oil pump. This sounds bad but just remember, your engine on this truck is under factory warranty for 5 years or 100k miles even if you are not the original owner. There has been issues with the oil pumps, the pressure valve inside may stick open and cause a no oil pressure or low oil pressure issue. If the truck does this often, you can have the dealership run a manual oil pressure check, this cost around $100 and would be covered by warranty if there is a internal engine problem.
Experience: 15 YEARS AS GM TECH, TEAM LEADER/SHOP FOREMAN AT A GMC DEALERSHIP