GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.

1999 GMC suburban: STARTS AND STALL..SCAN TOOL I..DOOR LOCK..SHORTED

ON A 1999 GMC SUBURAN C1500 CODE P1626 CAME UP. STARTS AND STALL IF I GO INTO THE BCM WITH THE SCAN TOOL I CAN GET IN AND LOOK AT INPUT ,OUTPUT,SECURITY,BUT THERE IS ON VALU FOR THE DATA IS THAT A BAD BCM /VCM HAD TO REPLACE THE REMOTE CONTROL DOOR LOCK RECEIVER THAT GOT SHORTED OUT FORM SOMEONE WORKING ON THE TRUCK BE FOR US
Category: GM
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 3 years ago.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Did you try a relearn of the VTD?

GM Tech (Cam) :

Turn the key on, with the engine OFF.Try to start the engine, then release the key to ON, Engine will not start. Watch the security telltale, after about 10 mins, it will turn OFF.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.

Customer:

YES I TRIED TO XXXXX STALLS THE SECURITY LIGHT JUSTSTAYS ON WHIT THE KEY ON

GM Tech (Cam) :

Ok, no flashint then?

Customer:

ON JUST STAYS ON

GM Tech (Cam) :

This could be the EVO Passlock module that is failing.

GM Tech (Cam) :

What happened prior to this, any repairs?

Customer:

ok were not sure thats how it came in

GM Tech (Cam) :

Ok, and remote starter installed? d

Customer:

if i use the scan tool i can go in to the bcm and look at input output security but have no data for them not at this time you can see were some one cut some wires for door lock and inishone

GM Tech (Cam) :

Go to the EVO module for security or the VCM

Customer:

we have an old snapon brick or a newer launch x-431 the snapon dose not show security or evo vcm the launch shows bcm not evo orvcm

GM Tech (Cam) :

The EVO is a stand alone module for security and the EVO steering system in these.

Customer:

is that the passlock

GM Tech (Cam) :

EVO, electric Variable Orifice, solenoid on the back of the pump.

Customer:

ok dose that short out a lot

GM Tech (Cam) :

They can, yes.

Customer:

could that be whats doing that

GM Tech (Cam) :

yes, I suspect is is,

GM Tech (Cam) :

it is.

Customer:

do u think the evo is could be fried

GM Tech (Cam) :

It is possible the EVO module had failed, yes and this would be the result.

Customer:

any other things to look for

GM Tech (Cam) :

Not that I can think of while we are doubting the security module.

Customer:

ok this truck has a vcm and on bcm or pcm mitchill-1had me lost and the launch had bcm im going to look for the evo on the back of the pump im looking at geting a new evo/ security

GM Tech (Cam) :

The EVo module is behind the CD player in the dash.

GM Tech (Cam) :

The EVo is only the solenoid for the steering pump on there.

Customer:

i found the evo module and check the wiring all but at the solenoid havent found the solenoid

GM Tech (Cam) : There is no solenoid on the outlet of the power steering pump?
Customer:

yes i just found it

Customer:

whats the best way to check it

GM Tech (Cam) : The solenoid on the pump is just another function if the same module, you need to find the VTD data. Often it is in chassis selections on the scan tool
Customer:

ok can i go look

GM Tech (Cam) :

ok

Customer:

i looked under cassis is 4wal 3 sensor and under body is body control module instrument panel cluster supplement inflatable restraint and powertrain isdata display and codes

GM Tech (Cam) :

Then you may need to get your hands on a tech to in order to read it.

Customer:

ok thats for all the help

GM Tech (Cam) :

Please reply back if you need additional help or press ACCEPT so that the question may be closed out. You can reopen it at any time by replying to it and I will answer ASAP. PLease keep in mind that as experts on this site, we are only compensated for our time spent helping customers once ACCEPT is selected. Thanks again for using Just Answer. Cam.

GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.