Pete, GMC Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealership technician and training.
14928985

2001 GMC Sonoma radio troubles.

2001 GMC Sonoma radio troubles.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

I just need a little more info to assist better.

When you installed this radio did you use an install kit with an adapter harness that plugs into the vehicle harness without cutting the vehicle harness?

Let me know so we can continue,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did use the wire harness adapter.
O.k.

Did you have sound failure from the other radio that was in the vehicle as well?

Let me know,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes,the other radio wouldn't make any sound either. When it first started to give me trouble the sound would conk out. Then come back on at low volume,increase to normal,then conk out again. After that it would only work intermittingly. Now no sound at all.
O.k.

Allot of these vehicles came equipped with an audio amplifier stock from the factory.When an amp fails it causes a no sound issue,you may not have needed a new radio here as you may have just had an amplifier failure.

This amp is located under the center console mounted to the floor near the rear of where the console would sit.

From what I can tell it looks like all of these came with this amp and this needs replaced and the stock unit put back in or the radio you have now needs completely re wired to each individual speaker.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How do I get to the amp? I'm not too clear about where it is located. Is this something I can buy at radio shack,or do I have to buy it at a GM dealer?
This amp has to be bought through a dealer or used at a salvage yard as it is a factory amp that came equipped in the vehicle.

The center console is where it is located under where you would rest your right front arm in the drivers seat,this is the center console.

This requires removing some components and bolts/screws to remove this center console to replace this.

My info doesn't give me the current part number or price but it can take around 2 hours labor to have this replaced.