Gary
Gary, GMC Technician
Experience:  15 years gm master tech/15 years ASE master tech
19513769

2002 gmc: 2500 hd..U-joints on the front drive shaft

I have a 2002 GMC Seirra 2500HD 4WD. What all do I have to take off to change the U-joints on the front drive shaft?
Category: GM
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
this has both a front and rear U-joint in that front shaft to the front diff.from the transfer case?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, the front U-joint has bolts which can be removed. The rear U-joints are pressed in. The rear stub shaft has a rubber boot which is held in place with factory installed clamps. There is limited space at the front due to the exhaust cross member. At the rear the shaft is blocked from lowering by the cross member holding the transfer case.
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
ok that shaft will need to be removed.once it is out looking at that original front u-joint does it have external snap rings?or internal?first picture shows internal locks second picture shows external.the externals you will see the big clip on the outside of the caps that are into the shaftgraphicgraphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My question is do I have to remove the exhaust system or the the cross member holding the transfer case to remove the drive shaft going from the transfer case to the front differential? Also does the rubber boot stay in place when the front drive shaft is removed or do I have to remove one of the factory crimped clamps on the rubber boot to remove the drive shaft?
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
you remove the factory clamp so the boot can slide off the splines of the transfer case.that is just slid on.no bolts to undo in the rear.you unbolt the front and pop it out move the front of the shaft up and over a little to the drivers side.there should be just enough room to then slide the shaft forward enough so it will slide off the splines on the rear of it.then take it out diagonally.
  1. Raise the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.
  2. Remove the transfer case shield, if equipped.
  3. Reference mark the relationship of the propeller shaft to the front axle pinion yoke.
  4. Remove the clamp (4) at the transfer case (3) by prying up the exposed end of the clamp (4) with a flat bladed tool.
Remove the bolts (6) and the yoke retainers (7) from the front axle pinion yoke (1).Disconnect the propeller shaft (2) from the front axle pinion yoke (1). Wrap the bearing caps with tape in order to prevent the loss of bearing rollers.Remove the propeller shaft (5) from the transfer case output shaftgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphic by sliding the propeller shaft forward.
Gary, GMC Technician
Experience: 15 years gm master tech/15 years ASE master tech