molurch
molurch, GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM, Chevrolet Cert., Heavy Line Mech, Race Shop Owner, Mobile Electronics.
1609972

I need to replace the drivers side, outside door handle of my 1999 GMC Sierra Pick-up. I d

I need to replace the drivers side, outside door handle of my 1999 GMC Sierra Pick-up. I do not see anything on the vehicle on the Chilton site on how to remove and install this. Is there any detailed diagrams to assist me? The reason I need to replace is the three screws holding it came off of the handle. The lock assembly is still attached. I have a new handle. This is where I need the help on how to do this. I am good in taking things appart and putting together, but I am one who needs a step by step on how to do it.
Category: GM
Expert:  molurch replied 3 years ago.

Here is GMC procedures

click links below

REMOVE DOOR PANEL

REMOVE DOOR HANDLE

Please keep in mind Just Answer is set up on an honor system.

I have sent the information you have requested.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Customer

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX don't see the screws/bolts to remove the interior panel shown on the diagram. How do I gain access to remove them?

Expert:  molurch replied 3 years ago.

The Door Panel is very easy to remove

You will need a Flatblade & a 7mm
Remove the top Triangle piece by the mirror, by prying off
Remove the Door Lock slide, by carefully prying out on the complete bezel

Remove the 7mm screw hidden "behind" the Door Lock slide
Remove the 7mm screw under the Arm Rest
Remove the 7mm screw located at bottom front of door

"LIFT" Door Panel "UP" & off
Do not try to pull door panel straight out, as it will break the plastic retainers
LIFT UP & off

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Customer

Remove the top Triangle piece by the mirror, by prying off - I was able to do this.

Remove the Door Lock slide, by carefully prying out on the complete bezel - I did this

Remove the 7mm screw hidden "behind" the Door Lock slide - I do not see a screw, just the slide for the lock.

Remove the 7mm screw under the Arm Rest - I did this

Remove the 7mm screw located at bottom front of door. - There are no screws at the front of the door. Only one in the middle that appears to be for the tray.

I try to lift up, but something is still bolted or mounted and I can't see where. Any suggestions?

Expert:  molurch replied 3 years ago.

There is a screw behind the slide lock

Only one in the middle that appears to be for the tray

Not sure what "Tray" you are referring to

Only other type is this:graphic

Unless you have the "old'style" door panel like this

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was able to get the door trim removed from the inside of the door. I then was able to get the rod off to original handle. I am having a problem in getting the lock cylinder off. Suggestions? The original handle broke off the three screws holding it. So I need to remove the lock and then the three screws in the door before I can install the new nandle. I atttached a picture of the handle to help see what I am dealing with. Thank you!

Door handle

Expert:  molurch replied 3 years ago.

I am having a problem in getting the lock cylinder off. Suggestions?

There is a "U" clip on the bottom of the Lock Cylinder, inside the Door that needs to be pulled off.

Here is GMC procedures

click link below

LOCK CYLINDER

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Customer

I am making headway on this. I was able to get the lock removed. I removed the screws that were still attached to the door from the old handle. I installed the lock cylinder and the latch to the new door handle. Now I can not see how I am able to screw the nuts to the screws attached to the new door handle. Meaning, where would I get a wrench to tighten them down? The window up or down, does not allow me access to the screws from the back-side of the door panel. I know there has to be a way. Thanks!

Expert:  molurch replied 3 years ago.

where would I get a wrench to tighten them down?

Should be 10mm??
If you are really having a problem reaching them, you can disconnect the Window Regulator from the Glass. Tape the Window Glass in the Up position. Lower the Window Regulator & that should give you a visual to the Handle

Should have Cable Type Regulator

Here is GMC procedures

click link below

REGULATOR

PLEASE click ACCEPT so that I may get credit, thanks.

molurch, GMC Mechanic
Experience: GM, Chevrolet Cert., Heavy Line Mech, Race Shop Owner, Mobile Electronics.