Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

2001 gmc yukon: hub..traditional pulley will not work

Customer Question

how do you remove a rear hub from 2001 gmc yukon? traditional pulley will not work.
Category: GM
Expert:  Danny replied 3 years ago.

Danny :

Hello, I am Daniel. I may ask you questions, to better answer you. Please let me know if you have any other questions before you Accept.is your 4x4?

Customer:

yes

Danny :

very goog one moment

Danny :

good

Customer:

also, we have repair manual and it does not tell how to remove it. We tried youtube and none of the rear hub assemblies look like what we have.

Danny :

you have rear disc brakes right?

Danny :

or is it drum?

Customer:

yes

Danny :

your parking brake is released right

Customer:

yes

Danny :

and caliper and rotor are off already?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

hello?

Danny :

I had to reboot my cumputer and I am having some other issues so i will opt out for another expert to help you.

Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

below are directions:

1. Raise and support the vehicle on a hoist.
  2. Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
  3. Remove the brake caliper on disc brake models.
  4. Remove the rear cover and gasket.
  5. Remove the pinion shaft locking bolt.
  6. On axles without a locking differential, remove the pinion shaft.
  7. On axles with a locking differential, remove the shaft part way. Rotate the case until the pinion shaft touches the housing.
  8. On axles with a locking differential, use a screwdriver, or a similar tool, in order to enter the differential case and rotate the lock until the lock aligns with the thrust block.
  9. Remove the brake drum on drum brake models.
  10. Push the flange of the axle shaft in toward the differential.
  11. Remove the C-lock from the button end of the axle shaft.
  12. When removing the axle shaft, do not rotate the shaft. Rotating the shaft will misalign the gears. Misaligning the gears will make assembly difficult.
  13. Remove the axle shaft from the housing.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Exploded view of the rear axle assembly-8.6 and 9.5 inch axles

To install:

1. Install the axle shaft into the rear axle housing.
  2. Slide the axle shaft into place allowing the splines to engage the differential side gear.
  3. On axles without a locking differential, place the C-lock on the button end of the axle shaft.
  4. On axles with a locking differential, keep the pinion shaft partially withdrawn.
  5. Install the brake drum on drum brake models.
  6. On axles with a locking differential, place the C-lock on the axle shaft so that the ends are flush with the thrust block.
  7. Pull the shaft flange outward in order to seat the lock in the differential gear.
  8. Align the hole in the pinion shaft with the bolt hole in the differential case.
  9. Install the new pinion shaft locking bolt and tighten to 27 ft. lbs. (36 Nm) on 8.5 inch axles or 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm) on 9.5 inch axles.
  10. Install the rear cover and the gasket.
  11. Install the caliper on disc brake models.
  12. Install the tire and wheel assembly.
  13. Fill the rear axle, using the proper fluid.
  14. Lower the vehicle.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Remove the pinion shaft

Click image to see an enlarged view
removing c clip
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm sorry. I have read and reread your answer and I don't know the names of all the parts and the diagram numbers teh parts but does not say what each part is so it doesn't really help.

We were trying to remove the hub to get the

brake dust shield off and put a new one on. However the rear hub (unlike the front hub) does not have the removable center part where you would normally place the long screw of the pulley.Its all one piece and we don't want to remove the hub wrong and break something.

Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

the rear hub is made into the axle shaft it self as part of it. So, in order to remove the dust shield, you have to remove the axle shaft. to do this you remove the rear end cover, remove the pinion shaft bolt and pinion shaft. then you remove the c-clip and pull the axle shaft out of the axle tube.

give me a minute and I will label the parts in the diagram for you
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.
hi,
here is diagram labeled for you:

graphic
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.