Dave Nova
Dave Nova, GMC Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

1995 Gmc: shudder..wobble..the brakes are fine and the rotors

I have a 1995 Gmc Vandura g 3500 w a 5.7 liter K motor. When we are braking the truck will sometime start to shudder really bad (death wobble) the brakes are fine and the rotors have been checked. It does not happen all the time, just when we come to an abrupt stop as we near the 35-45 mile per hour mark the wobble begins. The whole van shakes violently and doesnt stop until we let of the brake or stop.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your GMC problem.

This is normally caused by warpage in the front brake rotors. The rotors should be checked for runout with a dial indicator. and for variations in thickness with a micrometer.

Brake pulsations from warpage in the rotors can be amplified by play in the steering linkage. Check for play in the tie rods, idler arm and pitman arm.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
All of the things you mentioned have been replace within the last year. The problem has been ongoing since we purchased the van 2 years ago.
Does the problem ever get better or go away when the rotors are machined or replaced?