Pete, GMC Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealership technician and training.

2004 GMC Envoy: It wont start and on the dash board it..clicks

I have a 2004 GMC Envoy. It won't start and on the dash board it is giving me the code D321. It clicks when I try to start it, but won't turn over. I couldn't get the keys out of the ignition until I charged the battery.
Category: GM
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

I just need a little more info to assist better.

Is anything else acting up on the vehicle here or not working?(radio,heater,wipers,lights,etc.)

Can you tell me where the clicking noise is coming from is this under the hood or inside the vehicle?

Is the battery charged up now but it still wont start?

Let me know so we can continue,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The car was completely dead when I tried to start it. It tried to turn over once, then nothing. I connected it to a battery charger. When I took the battery charger off, the wipers don't work but the radio, lights, and heater work.

The clicking noise is coming from under the hood.

The battery is not completely charged yet.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
O.k.

Can you tell me what size engine is in this vehicle and also have you checked any fuses under the hood or under the rear seat?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The wipers and everything else works when the key is turned half way.

The engine is a 4.2L

I have not checked any fuses yet.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
When you turn the key on the full way all the way on do the wipers work then?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
O.k.

What is at fault here from what is described is the electronic ignition switch.Since the wipers work when the key is half way on but not when on all the way the ignition switch is cutting the power to this and also isn't supplying the power to crank over and start the vehicle.

This is a very common fault on this model vehicle with the ignition switch being at fault as I have had to replace allot of these in this model.

This switch can be purchased at a dealer and usually for around $30 or less and most dealers stock these due to the common failure.

Then once you have the new switch,pry down and remove the bottom cover behind the steering wheel,this should pry or pull down as it snaps into place,once this is out of the way the ignition switch can be removed,disconnected and replaced.

A shop will usually charge a half hours labor for this.If you are going to do this yourself,make sure you pry out the tilt lever,this should pry out and come out of the steering column.Then pry or pull down the bottom cover behind the steering wheel.

Locate the ignition switch under the ignition cylinder,using two picks insert them into the slots below the cylinder and pull the switch down and out,disconnect the connector from it.Then look at the gear on the old switch and rotate and line up the gear on the new switch to match,then plug in the new switch and push it place.

The reassembly the steering column and shifter tilt lever.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Pete, GMC Technician
Experience: 14 years GM dealership technician and training.