GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

where is the windshield wiper relay located on a 1997 gmc sonoma

Customer Question

Category: GM
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 3 years ago.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Can I ask exactly what it is doing?

Customer :

wipers work entermitenly and then stop in the parked position. after a few hours they work fine.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Do they start again if you pull on the connector on the wiepr motor/

Customer :

i have not tryed that. i have a feeling that it is the relay but i can not locate the relay

GM Tech (Cam) :

The module that is the under that cover and has the controls with the connector is common for the solder joints for that connector failing.

Customer :

i dont understand ? what modle?

GM Tech (Cam) :

The module is the circuit board that the connector plugs into at the wiper motor.

GM Tech (Cam) :

It has the relay on it.

Customer :

is the relay located near the wiper motor?

GM Tech (Cam) :

No, it is IN the motor on the circuit board.

GM Tech (Cam) :

The plug that goes into the motor plugs directly into this circuit board.

Customer :

so the motor needs replacing?

GM Tech (Cam) :

NO, take the cover off and pull the circuit board off. Resolder the 5 terminals of the connectors as they come on to the board.

Customer :

is the cover accessable with out having to remove the motor?

GM Tech (Cam) :

yes,

Customer :

will i see burnt connections

GM Tech (Cam) :

NO, but if you look REALLY close at the terminals on the board you will see the solder cracked.

Customer :

how many screws on cover?

GM Tech (Cam) :

3 torx screws

Customer :

thank you!

GM Tech (Cam) :

Please reply back if you need additional help or press ACCEPT so that the question may be closed out. You can reopen it at any time by replying to it and I will answer ASAP. PLease keep in mind that as experts on this site, we are only compensated for our time spent helping customers once ACCEPT is selected. Thanks again for using Just Answer. Cam.

Customer :

i have the curcit board out but not sure what to solder every thing looks ok

GM Tech (Cam) :

Near the plug are 5 thick pins, On the back side they are in 3 rosws, 2 of 2 and one by itself.