GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

power steering now and then stop working.

Customer Question

power steering now and then stop working. if i turn the ignition off andrestart engine it works well for a while. what is proable cause and what do i need to do to fix it myself?
Category: GM
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 5 years ago.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

GM Tech (Cam) :

This is likely a failing sensor in the steering column. Have you got any codes from the system?

JACUSTOMER-920uvkmy- :

no. about 2mos ago i attempt to boost another car with cables. in the process i touched something on the fuse box that caused a spark and noticed that it blew #1 60 amp fuse... power steering stopped working. replaced fuse and it worked well til 3 das ago . i checked fuse . it was ok, but put new one in anyway. then i noticed the power steer would stop work from time to time. turn switch on and it work ok for awhile. Cam, how can i locate sensor in steering colum andtell if it is bad?

JACUSTOMER-920uvkmy- :

how can i find sensor in steering column and tell if it is good or bad?

GM Tech (Cam) :

Ok, These are common for those sensors or the column failing. The sensors are integral and cannot be changed separate of the column.

GM Tech (Cam) :

The sensors are integral and cannot be changed separate of the column.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Please reply back if you need additional help or press ACCEPT so that the question may be closed out. You can reopen it at any time by replying to it and I will answer ASAP. PLease keep in mind that as experts on this site, we are only compensated for our time spent helping customers once ACCEPT is selected. Thanks again for using Just Answer. Cam.