GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

2004 GMC: Oil Pressure..speedometer gauges..headlights

I have a 2004 GMC Sierra Truck (4WD) that recently has developed an instrument panel problems. The RPM, Oil Pressure, and Speedometer gauges become irratic (fail) after the truck has been operational for 30 minutes. I have also detect that when the headlights are on the problem occure very quickly. The three gauge usualy drop to zero (i.e. oil pressire drops to zero) or gradually decline in readout over a short period of time. What is the problem and what is the fix for this problem. What is the estimte cost of the repair?
Category: GM
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 6 years ago.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Does the message center show the low oil pressure warning?

Customer:

No

GM Tech (Cam) :

OK, then it is likely a wiring issue to the cluster or a bad cluster. Did all the gauges start this at the same time?

GM Tech (Cam) :

Or did they start this one at a time?

Customer:

No. The first indication waswthe oil gauge and RPM gaugest. Then yesterday the speedometer became irrative as well as the RPM and oil gauges.

GM Tech (Cam) :

I suspected as much. This is the cluster 99% of the time.

GM Tech (Cam) :

The best thing to do is send it to a shop, a specialty shop like http://www.speedometerrepairguy.com/ for repair. That means taking the whole cluster out and sending it out. This is often only a 100 repair doing it this way.

Customer:

Oaky... what is the approximate cost and time to replace the cluster. I understand that the cluster is located behind the instrument panel and the whole panel will have to be removed.

GM Tech (Cam) :

to replace the cluster, takes about 20 mins then programming. The trim comes out around the cluster with the wheel tilted down, and it literally takes 10 mins to remove.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Cost for a replacement so that is why it is cheaper to repair it.

Customer:

Well, that doesn't sound too bad. Any other advice before I make an appointment with the GM dealership. Should I reference this call with the Service Representative.\?

GM Tech (Cam) :

Gm will replace it at the 500 unless you specifically tell them you want to send it to the site I mentioned or any other. Search Ebay.

Customer:

Okay. I think that answer my question unless you any other info I should know. If not, thanks.