goodwrench9124
goodwrench9124, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  37 years of dealership exp. Ase Master Certified, GM Master Certified Tech. Awarded GM Top performer
5720312

2004 GMC Yukon: passenger..controls..clicking noise..hot air

I have a 2004 GMC Yukon with dual driver/passenger temperature controls. I've noticed a clicking noise under the dash sometimes. When the A/C is on, the blowing air may suddenly change to hot air. When the heat is on, the blowing air may suddenly change to cold. The problem is most noticed on the driver's side, but it also occurs on the passenger side. When the A/C is on, the driver's vents may suddenly change to hot air while the passenger side is still blowing cold. It is now winter and I am having more and more problems getting heat from vent, floor, or defrost. It may blow heat for a few minutes, then it suddenly changes to cold.

I believe the problem could be an actuator. I have purchased a Dorman 604-106 and want to install it today. I am not sure which actuator to change. I understand there are three that controls air in the front and a fourth that controls air for the rear.

The dash button (vent, floor, defrost) changes the air flow direction correctly. It is the air temperature that changes suddenly. Which actuator controls the temperature and how do I get to it to change it with a new actuator?

Thank you
Category: GM
Expert:  goodwrench9124 replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome. does sound like a temp door actuator problem. there are two actuators that control the temp. one for the drivers side and one for the passenger side. when you heard the clicking noise, did it sound like it was coming from the top of the dash towards the passenger side, or does it sound like it was from the middle towards the bottom of the dash?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It sounded like it was coming from the middle or lower of the dash on the passenger side.
Good deal, that would be the drivers side temp door actuator. real common on these vehicles. give me a few minutes and I will post you the replacement instructions. these are pretty easy to change out

ok, under the passenger side of dash is a black panel you will have to remove. the temp door actuator is bolted to the bottom of the dash, just above the center floor hump.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

• Remove the retaining bolts.
  • Remove the insulator (1) from the HVAC module by pulling downwards.
  •  

In order to avoid actuator damage, DO NOT apply power to the actuator when it is not installed in the HVAC module. DO NOT plug in the new actuator until it is installed!

Register Here

• Disconnect the electrical connector (1) from the left air temperature actuator (2).
  • Remove the screws from the left air temperature actuator (2).
  • Remove the left air temperature actuator (2) from the HVAC module assembly (3).
  • Customer: replied 3 years ago.
    What does this actuator control? A flap door? Should I check for anything that may have caused the actuator to go bad? Why was there a clicking noise? Is this sound the actuator gears stripping because the door was stuck?
    the door is a flapper door, haven't see any problems with the actual flapper door. and yes, you are correct. the clicking noise is a stripped gear inside the actuator. the gears are made of plastic inside the actuator and they do tend to strip out causing the clicking noise you hear. replacing the actuator should correct your concern
    Customer: replied 3 years ago.
    I believe you have identified the problem on the drivers side. As I mentioned in my original question, the problem has also occured on the passenger side. Example, the passenger side has gotten heat out of the vent instead of A/C, while the driver's side has A/C.
    Could I also have a problem with the passenger side actuator? If so, can I replace it at the same time as the driver's side?
    the same goes for the passenger side. the door actuators fail on this side too, but also seen on the passenger side, the wiring that runs to the passenger side actuator sometimes rubs on the dash support bracket behind the glove box. open the glove box, just left of the glove box opening you will see a metal bracket, the wiring runs by the bracket make sure it isn't rubbed on this bracket. if the wiring is good, then replacing the passenger side actuator would need replacement also. this one is a lot tougher, requires the removal the upper dash pad and some duct work.
    Customer: replied 3 years ago.
    I'll check the glove box/wire. I just drove the Yukon around until the engine got warm. I turned the temperature dial on both sides to 90 degrees and both driver's and passenger vents were blowing cold air. I know if I play with the controls or re-start the vehicle, I will get heat for a while until it will suddenly change to cold air. Would you please send me those instructions for changing the passenger side actuator also? Thank you.
    sure, give a few minutes to gather the info
    Customer: replied 3 years ago.
    Thank you.

the passenger side actuator is bolted on the top of the heater case under the upper dash pad. the instructions state the entire dash panel needs to be removed, you can get to the actuator by just removing the upper dash panel and some of the defrost duct work. this way takes about 3 to 4 hours, opposed to removing the entire dash 8 to 10 hours of work.

Register Here

• Pull gently rearward on the corners of the bezel from the instrument panel (IP) assembly.
  •  

• If equipped with air conditioning (A/C), set the air flow control to the instrument panel (IP) vent position.
  • Apply the parking brake to prevent the vehicle from moving.
  • If the transmission is automatic, move the shift lever all the way down.
  • Tilt the steering wheel to the full down position.
  •  

Register Here

• Remove the end panels. The left panel is shown, and the right panel is similar.
  • Remove the right side air outlets.
  •  

Register Here

• Remove the assist handle by depressing the release tabs accessed through the air outlet duct holes.
  • Remove the windshield pillar garnish moldings.
  • Remove the bolts retaining the panel to IP assembly.
  •  

Register Here

Lift the trim panel up to disconnect the electrical connector (1) to the ambient light sensor on the underside of the trim panel.

Register Here

• Remove the trim panel from the IP assembly.
  • Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

• Remove the I/P upper brackets.

Register Here

• Disconnect the electrical connector (4) from the right air temperature actuator (3).
  • Remove the screws from the right air temperature actuator (3).
  • Remove the right air temperature actuator (3) from the HVAC module assembly (2).
  •  

Edited by goodwrench9124 on 1/29/2011 at 2:13 PM EST
    Customer: replied 3 years ago.
    Thank you, #9124. If today, I only change the driver's side actuator, can I get heat on the driver's side even though the passenger side may be defective?
    you are very welcome. yes you can just do the drivers side first. the drivers side takes less than a hour to change out. this should at least get some heat on the drivers side
    Experience: 37 years of dealership exp. Ase Master Certified, GM Master Certified Tech. Awarded GM Top performer